Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

brakes on cherokee sport

Old 04-05-2012, 08:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default brakes on cherokee sport

I have a 97 Cherokee Sport and my brake warning light just came on (P (i) )
Don't know specifically what they indicate, but they brakes mush right to the floor and I had to be very careful pumping just to get home...What needs repair?
Old 04-05-2012, 08:48 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1986
Engine: 5.0

Originally Posted by Mojp
What needs repair?
The brakes. Start with the rears, get the drums off and measure them, then see what is either leaking or broken then fix it. Could be that they just need to be adjusted and the light is telling you the fluid in the master is low.
Old 04-05-2012, 08:54 PM

Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0L 6cyl

I have a 97 Cherokee Sport and my brake warning light just came on (P (i) )
Don't know specifically what they indicate, but they brakes mush right to the floor and I had to be very careful pumping just to get home...What needs repair?
Rear wheel cylinder is blown. Just had the same thing happen on My 01. It's an afternoon project and the part is like 9 bucks at napa
Old 04-05-2012, 08:56 PM

Thanks for the quick response... I checked the fluid and had to replace it twice in the last couple days, but cant see a leak...could it be the master cylinder or is there something else to check... I cannot do the work myself and need to go to an honest shop to eval and repair for me
Old 04-05-2012, 09:09 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1986
Engine: 5.0

Can look under it at the drums and see if they are wet. Look at the calipers and master cyl between the master and booster for leaks also. That will point you in a direction.
Old 04-06-2012, 07:33 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0

I suspect as mentioned one or both of your rear wheel cylinders is blown. Thats where all your fluid is going. They are cheap and easy to replace. Yes $9 at napa, just installed both on my 97. Change the rear shoes as well no matter how much they are worn. They don't stop rear well when soaked with brake fluid.
Old 04-06-2012, 08:25 AM
CF Veteran

Received 94 Likes on 85 Posts
Year: 1990, 1999, 2000

not necessarily a blown wheel cylinder or caliper, but could be a hard line or flex line too. you will have to look along the drivers side frame rail/floor area for a leak.

but as mentioned, it could be a bad master leaking into the booster.

if you're not comfortable, just take it to a brake/muffler shop for an evaluation.

the master can be replaced yourself in little time and simple hand tools.
Old 04-07-2012, 04:51 PM

Unhappy Chereokee Sport Brakes

Thanks for all the responses...Went to Sears which is right down the street and according to them I need "everything"! Wheel cylinders, Master Cylinder, Brake Shoes Front, Front Drum Shoe & Labor -A $500 Tab??? Am I dreaming...I have been told that all these things almost NEVER go at the same time...Thoughts & Opinions needed....Thanx
Old 04-07-2012, 04:55 PM
CF Veteran

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Year: 1989 xj sport 2dr
Engine: 12 hole bosch Injectors

Thanks for all the responses...Went to Sears which is right down the street and according to them I need "everything"! Wheel cylinders, Master Cylinder, Brake Shoes Front, Front Drum Shoe & Labor -A $500 Tab??? Am I dreaming...I have been told that all these things almost NEVER go at the same time...Thoughts & Opinions needed....Thanx
when you go to the doctor does he tell you you fine and send ya on your way they get paid to make sales
Old 04-07-2012, 04:57 PM
CF Veteran

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Year: 1989 xj sport 2dr
Engine: 12 hole bosch Injectors

no visible leaks any where? next suspect master cyl leaking into booster
?
Old 04-07-2012, 05:54 PM

Year: 1993 and 1992
Engine: 4.0L HO(Both)

FYI- Sears got sued in Calif. and are being constantly, highly scrutinized by our Bureau of Auto Repair for screwing over customers and selling people repairs they didn't need as well as messing up basic repairs, resulting in wheels coming off and people getting into accidents. An honest, smart shop is not what you'll find at a Sears, unfortunately.
Old 04-07-2012, 06:12 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1998 Sport

I did have a very similar problem on my 98 XJ last year. I couldn't find the leak until I put more brake fluid in and had someone push the brakes a few times. I found it leaking along the frame rail in the hard line. The reason I couldn't see it was right where it was leaking it was shooting right in to one of the holes in the frame rail. Anyways, When I was changing out the hard line i hit one of the other lines and it started to leak. When changing out that one the next one started to leak. In other words. If it is a hard line change them all out to be on the safe side.
Old 04-09-2012, 10:40 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1997

First thing I would do is pull one of the rear drums and just make sure there is no leak there. If not then you have eliminated that item in the equation. Plus that will only take you a few minutes and its done.
Old 04-09-2012, 11:34 AM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0 HO

All those things can go bad at once, happened to me coming down a mountain, rear cylinders popped, lost a front shoe, then master popped and I had no brakes except for EMERGENCY-brakes. Those saved my life

Advice, always check the brakes after you buy a vehicle and make sure the e-brakes work. You never know
Old 04-09-2012, 07:51 PM

Default Repair costs: Cherokee sport

Looks like I am in for a fairly costly repair...Saw the rear brakes today and the L rear cylinder was definitely broken and leaking completely, was told that the drums are no good either and needed to be replaced as a pair...drums, shoes etc $500 (did not include cost for master cylinder repair/replace if needed. (How can this be tested before hand _ no surprised needed or afforded at this point)

Everyone has a different way of breaking out the estimates to maximize confusion as to what you REALLY need and the costs. I personally priced out parts that I found I was being charged double for!

The sales person at Sears said she would NOT got her brakes done there and their labor rate is $85/hr...Got a similar comment from more than one source about MIDAS

AAAGHHHH

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: brakes on cherokee sport