Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Brakes Brakes Brakes!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2011, 09:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L AWD
Default Brakes Brakes Brakes!!

I need brakes! Ok, actually I need rotors... mainly my left front. When I was putting on my Aux driving lights and was laying under the front of my Jeep, I noticed that the inside of my drivers side brake rotor has some gnarly, deep grooves in it. I noticed a few other things as well like bushings on the sway bar... they are toast lol. I don't think my steering box is factory and there is oil drippings on the underside of my exhaust pipe.

Anyway, I am going to have to do my brakes. I am fully capable with my own two hands so no need for a shop to do it. What I would like to know is, do any of you have suggestions for brands of pads and rotors, styles, sizes other than factory that are known to fit the 15" factory wheels I have. I don't want to modify but I think a lil more stopping power is fine since I am going to replace the front pair. I am a fan of Wearever silver brake pads and rotors and have used them with no issues ever. So, the question is, stock style, slotted, cross drilled or cross drilled and slotted?

I am looking at between $80 and $130 for the fronts for all materials (Brake Pads, Rotors, Brake Clean, Brake Fluid and shop towels). Also, for my ride that will eventually see mud, water and various other things... what brake pad material would you all suggest?

Old 02-08-2011, 09:53 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1989
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.7 Stroker I6

in for good prices and brands for pads/rotors. My front need em bad too.

I don't think slotted/drilled will help too much as they are just to disperse heat better so less brake fade when track racing and even then they have been debated.

Also, especially cheap ones, slotted or drilled rotors tend to crack.
slotted are less likely to crack then drilled though.
Old 02-08-2011, 10:01 PM

I am not a fan of brake dust and I hear EBC makes some pads that cut way down on dust.
Old 02-08-2011, 10:55 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1988
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by XJ5150
I need brakes! Ok, actually I need rotors... mainly my left front. When I was putting on my Aux driving lights and was laying under the front of my Jeep, I noticed that the inside of my drivers side brake rotor has some gnarly, deep grooves in it. I noticed a few other things as well like bushings on the sway bar... they are toast lol. I don't think my steering box is factory and there is oil drippings on the underside of my exhaust pipe.

Anyway, I am going to have to do my brakes. I am fully capable with my own two hands so no need for a shop to do it. What I would like to know is, do any of you have suggestions for brands of pads and rotors, styles, sizes other than factory that are known to fit the 15" factory wheels I have. I don't want to modify but I think a lil more stopping power is fine since I am going to replace the front pair. I am a fan of Wearever silver brake pads and rotors and have used them with no issues ever. So, the question is, stock style, slotted, cross drilled or cross drilled and slotted?

I am looking at between $80 and $130 for the fronts for all materials (Brake Pads, Rotors, Brake Clean, Brake Fluid and shop towels). Also, for my ride that will eventually see mud, water and various other things... what brake pad material would you all suggest?

These are the only brand I use on any of my vehicles. Great breaking and wear. Limited dust too. These two links are for my rotors and pads for my 88 which are currently installed

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/web..._1640998644___
http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/web...S_900030004___
Old 02-08-2011, 11:14 PM

I started looking up the parts and then put in my info... I get two different options for front and rear... the fronts say Police and Except Police... the rears 10" or 9" by 1 point something or two point something inches... uggghhh No clue what I have.
Old 02-08-2011, 11:16 PM
CF Veteran

Received 94 Likes on 85 Posts
Year: 1990, 1999, 2000
Engine: 4.0

yup, go for the green stuff pads. but leave the slotted rotors.

also, look into the dual diaphragm upgrade for your jeep. it's like night and day.

just replace your rotors with stock OEM rotors, not the cheap white box china steel crap.
Old 02-08-2011, 11:20 PM

Originally Posted by caged
yup, go for the green stuff pads. but leave the slotted rotors.

also, look into the dual diaphragm upgrade for your jeep. it's like night and day.

just replace your rotors with stock OEM rotors, not the cheap white box china steel crap.

What is this you speak of sir?