Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Brakes are acting up

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2012, 03:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4 litre
Default Brakes are acting up

K so this usually happens after some mudding. But when I hit the road afterwards the brakes act weird. Its usually when I'm coming to a stop. I'll hit the brakes and it'll slow down then I'll go further down on the pedal just a bit then the brakes lock up and the jeep halts to a stop. Kinda scary to be driving it like that. Already replaced one caliper on account it locked up already once before... Any comments, tips, help?
Old 04-17-2012, 11:26 PM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 with all of the noise and clatter

Should always replace calipers in pairs.
Old 04-18-2012, 01:30 AM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Engine: The legendary inline 6, haven't done anything here yet

Do you have drum breaks by any chance? What happens is they get mud in them and then they don't work right! Check out the zj rear disk conversion write up, super easy and well worth it so your drums don't get all bogged up with mud and I never replace both calipers, that's a line of bull lol I mean they don't cost that much but still there isn't a point. spend that 35 bucks on something else for you jeep lol!
Old 04-18-2012, 09:21 AM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by CherokeeChick
Do you have drum breaks by any chance? What happens is they get mud in them and then they don't work right! Check out the zj rear disk conversion write up, super easy and well worth it so your drums don't get all bogged up with mud and I never replace both calipers, that's a line of bull lol I mean they don't cost that much but still there isn't a point. spend that 35 bucks on something else for you jeep lol!
x2
Just did mine, super easy once you get all the parts.
https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f46/pr...6/#post1637208

Don't know much about drum brakes but if the front is lockup, you might just need to greased up the calipers bolts and make sure the pads are not seized to the bracket.

Name:  DSC06475-Copy.jpg
Views: 97
Size:  53.3 KB
Old 04-20-2012, 06:24 PM

so is it my drum brakes that are suddenly seizing up or locking up on me? cuz it always goes away after some driving. i just cant tell what brakes are grabbing like that. and the rear disc swap isnt so easy for me cuz i got the dana 35 =[ i know most swaps are for the 8.25 or d30. i plan on doing an axle swap soon though. ford 8.8? but in the mean time i just need to know whats going on with my brakes. is mud in the drums bad? and it doesnt feel like a lack of friction on the drum itself from mud. it feels more mechanical. like it'll suddenly grab.
Old 04-20-2012, 08:16 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by iron horse
so is it my drum brakes that are suddenly seizing up or locking up on me? cuz it always goes away after some driving. i just cant tell what brakes are grabbing like that. and the rear disc swap isnt so easy for me cuz i got the dana 35 =[ i know most swaps are for the 8.25 or d30. i plan on doing an axle swap soon though. ford 8.8? but in the mean time i just need to know whats going on with my brakes. is mud in the drums bad? and it doesnt feel like a lack of friction on the drum itself from mud. it feels more mechanical. like it'll suddenly grab.
The zj write up on here is on a 35 I belive .. Super easy stuff! You'll loose clearance with an 8.8 I would recommend an 8.25 or a 44. The 8.25 you can still do the zj swap and for the 44 I've read that people use caddy rear disks. You can get them out of the 87 - 89 xj waggies with the stock town package.. they are a direct swap, Check the cereal numbers to make sure you get the right axel. For the time being check the... Oh crap I've been away from the shop too long lol! The round cylinder thing at the top!! make sure it isn't ceased make sure you can wiggle the center back and forth, you may just need to replace them and clean up your breaks.. And check your break lines

Last edited by CherokeeChick; 04-20-2012 at 08:21 PM.
Old 04-20-2012, 08:27 PM
CF Veteran

Check your front breaks too but make sure you have another ride on stand by just incase your calipers are ceased.. You wanna make sure the sliders slide back and forth easily and that the piston in the middle actually goes in.. I think it sounds more like a front break thing but I would just check everything
Old 04-20-2012, 09:30 PM

Year: 1993
Engine: 4.0

Brakes that grab..... that would be awesome. Mine just fade and try to kill me I'm just too cheap for new rotors
Old 04-20-2012, 11:46 PM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 with all of the noise and clatter

A coffin cost a lot more than 20 dollar rotors do.
Old 04-23-2012, 04:15 PM

well brakes are back to normal now. im guessing its the drums brakes. just getting the cylinder thing on top stuck or something. do i check to see if the cylinder thing can move with the shoes off or on?
Old 04-23-2012, 04:58 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1989
Engine: 4.0L 242ci I6

It could also be because the brakes got wet. Anyone ever think of that? Drum brakes get very sensitive when wet. My jeep will stop on a dime if I'm going under about 15mph. Same think with my dirtbike. I can lock up the brakes without even trying if it's a little wet out. I always wondered what makes them so sensitive when wet.
Old 04-23-2012, 08:31 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by iron horse
well brakes are back to normal now. im guessing its the drums brakes. just getting the cylinder thing on top stuck or something. do i check to see if the cylinder thing can move with the shoes off or on?
They should be able to move with the shoes on don't take it apart unless u gotta ..
Old 04-23-2012, 08:32 PM
CF Veteran

If u want post pics and I'll let you know if your shoes need to be done.. Don't know if u know
Old 04-23-2012, 08:35 PM
CF Veteran

Do you know how to adjust the breaks? It's hard to explain you just gotta have a feel for it lol maybe someone else could explain but I just know by feel...
Old 04-29-2012, 02:08 PM

its been raining a lot here in sfl so soon ill post pics and you mean adjusting the star wheel? is that on the bottom? and i checked the thing on top. that didnt move. and im pretty sure thats what pushes the shoes out onto the drum. and it has nothing to do with the drums being wet. they'll act up days after mudding

Quick Reply: Brakes are acting up