Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.
Old 09-10-2015, 02:24 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Brake Guides
Print Wikipost

Brake problem please help

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2014, 08:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Brake problem please help

Hey everyone it seems that i have bought a jeep with endless problems so im sorry for all these threads. As i always do i searched and it seems that im the only one with the problems that occur so once again i am looking for everyones opinion. 2 weeks my water pump stared squeaking so i changed the idler pulley since it was easy fast and cheap and everyone told me that usually goes first, it wasnt that it was actually the water pump. So i changed that and in the doing so i cracked the mount that the idler pulley mounts to and was in a week and a half search for the mount (note to everyone dont crack or break your ac compressor mount in a 95 or older cherokee they are very hard to find) but once i found and replaced the mount i go to start my jeep and everything works fine but now when i press on my brakes there is no pressure at all and the pedal practically falls to the floor, when i get off the pedal it comes back though, it feels like im pushing a piece of paper to the floor absolutely no resistance. Does anyone have any idea what this could be? People say that it could be the brake booster or the brake master cylinder, but i dont know how they could go bad when i havent moved the jeep in 2 weeks
Old 01-25-2014, 08:35 AM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1998 Sport
Engine: 4.0

First off, How is the brake fluid level? if it's low I would check all 4 wheels and see if there is any brake fluid coming out. Also check the brake lines for leaks. You want to do a little investigating before you start changing parts that may not be the problem.
Old 01-25-2014, 09:11 AM

Just did that right after i posted, no leaks at all EXCEPT if your standing in front of the jeep looking into the engine bay the metal brake line that comes out the right side of the brake master cylinder closer to you that goes around the top of the back of the engine bay that turns into a rubber tube that goes into the vacuum container is all rotted and hanging there not connected to anything, i think thats the problem but now i dont know exactly where it gets connected to, im just making a educated guess that it connects to that container, if it does which side does it connect to the front 90 degree bend? Theres 2 bends 1 in the front 1 in the back, the front 1 is alittle longer then the other so im guess it goes to that 1. Any suggestions?
Old 01-25-2014, 09:17 AM
CF Veteran

Received 952 Likes on 767 Posts
Year: 1998 Classic (I'll get it running soon....) and 02 Grand
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

Originally Posted by Pchris
i dont know how they could go bad when i havent moved the jeep in 2 weeks

1. Please make the effort to use proper punctuation. Your posts are difficult to read.

2. Yes, brakes can go bad by just sitting. What can happen is that the seals in the master or slave cylinders collapse, and when you press on the pedal, the brake fluid just moves past the seal, instead of doing its usual work.

Since it 'grabs' when you pump it, I'd say it sounds like seals.

If it is, you'll need to rebuild whatever cylinder has the problem. (I'd bet it's the master. ) This isn't a big deal, nor is it terribly expensive. You are basically taking it apart, and replacing the seals, which you buy in a kit. Not difficult, and you can find a ton of videos on the Tube of You.

If you need to rebuild a cylinder, consider doing all of them, and flushing the lines. You'll have basically new brake hydraulics when you are done, and that's a good thing.

But like Mr. Torrez said, you need to do some basic investigating before you start spending money.

Old 01-25-2014, 09:20 AM
CF Veteran

Just did that right after i posted, no leaks at all EXCEPT if your standing in front of the jeep looking into the engine bay the metal brake line that comes out the right side of the brake master cylinder closer to you that goes around the top of the back of the engine bay that turns into a rubber tube that goes into the vacuum container is all rotted and hanging there not connected to anything, i think thats the problem but now i dont know exactly where it gets connected to, im just making a educated guess that it connects to that container, if it does which side does it connect to the front 90 degree bend? Theres 2 bends 1 in the front 1 in the back, the front 1 is alittle longer then the other so im guess it goes to that 1. Any suggestions?

Post pictures. It's difficult to understand what you're describing. Again, punctuation would help.
Old 01-25-2014, 09:23 AM
CF Veteran

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Year: My Jeep is a GMC

^
Apparently he types a lot faster than I do..
Picture is worth a thousand words. If you are referring to the vacuum line to the brake booster, that will not cause a complete loss of braking. Have you checked the fluid yet?
Old 01-25-2014, 09:37 AM

Sorry about the punctuation. I checked the fluids and its empty, thats why im trying to find out where it leaked from. Everything is dry around the lines. The only thing that looks to be the problem is the rubber line that goes to the vacuum canister on the left side of the engine bay, next to the oil filter. The rubber line is the exact length to reach the canister, and the slit in the dried out hose looks to be the exact length to fit on the 90 degree fitting. I would love to post pictures but for some reason it wont let me use the 1s from my phone. I want to just get a new hose and attach it but the research im doing shows that 1 of the hoses goes to the fuel tank and i dont think i should be mixing brake fluid and gas. Unless i could be completely wrong. I just dont want to fill it up and go to drive it and have all the fluid drain in 1 shot and now im stuck with no brakes.
Old 01-25-2014, 09:41 AM
CF Veteran

That line is a vacuum line. If it's disconnected, you won't have power assist, but your brakes will still work.

Since it's dry, I'd say you need to dump some fluid in there and see where it leaks out.

You might have some rusty lines that are pinholed.
Old 01-25-2014, 09:47 AM
CF Veteran

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Year: 1989 xj sport 2dr
Engine: 12 hole bosch Injectors

the canister on pass firewall is a charcoal canister not vacuum.....the vacuum line from booster goes about 1 foot or so to intake manifold. Your getting your line crossed some where . when was last time b4 today you checked your fluid.....
Attached Thumbnails Brake problem please help-untitled.jpg  

Last edited by freegdr; 01-25-2014 at 09:53 AM.
Old 01-25-2014, 09:55 AM
CF Veteran

Sorry about the punctuation. I checked the fluids and its empty, thats why im trying to find out where it leaked from. Everything is dry around the lines. The only thing that looks to be the problem is the rubber line that goes to the vacuum canister on the left side of the engine bay, next to the oil filter. The rubber line is the exact length to reach the canister, and the slit in the dried out hose looks to be the exact length to fit on the 90 degree fitting. I would love to post pictures but for some reason it wont let me use the 1s from my phone. I want to just get a new hose and attach it but the research im doing shows that 1 of the hoses goes to the fuel tank and i dont think i should be mixing brake fluid and gas. Unless i could be completely wrong. I just dont want to fill it up and go to drive it and have all the fluid drain in 1 shot and now im stuck with no brakes.
very common for old masters to leak out rear and run down or into boosters .
Old 01-25-2014, 09:59 AM

Alittle while ago, but they were fine. I just put fluid in and pumped the brakes about 20 times and still the same thing, no fluid loss but the brake pedal is still weak. So now that i ruled out that its not a leak im starting to think its my brake master cylinder/ seals like buleridgemark said
Old 01-25-2014, 10:00 AM
CF Veteran

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Year: My Jeep is a GMC

Alittle while ago, but they were fine. I just put fluid in and pumped the brakes about 20 times and still the same thing, no fluid loss but the brake pedal is still weak. So now that i ruled out that its not a leak im starting to think its my brake master cylinder/ seals like buleridgemark said
How much fluid? Was the master cylinder empty?
Old 01-25-2014, 10:04 AM
CF Veteran

Is booster damp under master ? Finding out where fluid went is critical.
Old 01-25-2014, 10:07 AM

I just had to fill the little container above the master cylinder, not much. And alittle not like i just dumped fluid on it or anything
Old 01-25-2014, 10:09 AM
CF Veteran

I just had to fill the little container above the master cylinder, not much. And alittle not like i just dumped fluid on it or anything
I mean from it leaking causeing it to need fluid not you spilling any ...lol...

Quick Reply: Brake problem please help