Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

brake problem

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2013, 04:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default brake problem

about two weeks ago I went to pull my xj out of the driveway and I heard a pop, my brake light came on, and now my brakes have only been working when I press the pedal down at least half way. it did need brake fluid which has helped a little bit but I'm not real knowledgeable when it comes to brakes and not sure what it could be. someone here on the forums told me it's probably the proportioning valve. how easy of a fix is that? is that most likely it? if not, what's the next thing I should look at?

thanks in advance
Old 01-31-2013, 06:15 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1988
Engine: 4.0L

The residual check valve is what made noise and turned on the light. It is a simple switch that will slide a "pill" to the side that lost pressure (fluid) due to a leak or worn out brakes. U need to check for leaks first. Once the system has equal pressure on both front and rear the "pill" will reset itself. If not...just hillbilly out and stomp on the brake pedal and it will reset it! The pill sometimes will get stuck
Old 01-31-2013, 07:41 PM
CF Veteran

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.7L

You are wise to admit that you don't know what you don't know. Obviously, something in the system has failed, the pressure sensor tripped and lit the warning lamp. The root cause of the failure needs to be addressed before worrying about how to turn off the lamp. Don't mess around with the brake system if you are not experienced. Your life and the lives of those you share the roads with depend on it. Go to a reputable shop. Most will conduct a free brake system inspection then will advise you accordingly. Follow-up with your CherokeeForum friends for further tips and advice.
Old 02-02-2013, 06:50 PM

thank you both.
It turns out it did just need some brake fluid and I'm pretty sure they're back to normal but with the extreme 5 degree cold here making lots of stuff not work right, it's hard to tell. I'll check them out when it warms up, but for now I have braking power again.
Old 02-03-2013, 10:54 AM
CF Veteran

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.7L

Hi Exjay1027,

Lady Luck and the Jeep Gods have smiled upon you this day. Remember to pay homage to them through continued Jeeporification!

Also, continue to monitor your brake "feel" and brake fluid level...
Old 02-03-2013, 03:38 PM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by exjay1027
thank you both.
It turns out it did just need some brake fluid and I'm pretty sure they're back to normal but with the extreme 5 degree cold here making lots of stuff not work right, it's hard to tell. I'll check them out when it warms up, but for now I have braking power again.
Start the engine, put your foot on the brake, shove hard and hold it there for a while. Make sure the pedal doesn't slowly sink down, then check the backside of each wheel and along the brake lines for any sign of leaks. Just in case.
My rear brakes froze completely in the -10 weather, they unstuck with a bang and my pedal dropped back to the normal "brakes on" position. But never hurts to check, just in case.
Note to self: car wash day before -10 weather = bad idea, lol.
Old 02-06-2013, 10:54 PM

Originally Posted by Radi
Start the engine, put your foot on the brake, shove hard and hold it there for a while. Make sure the pedal doesn't slowly sink down, then check the backside of each wheel and along the brake lines for any sign of leaks. Just in case.
My rear brakes froze completely in the -10 weather, they unstuck with a bang and my pedal dropped back to the normal "brakes on" position. But never hurts to check, just in case.
Note to self: car wash day before -10 weather = bad idea, lol.
this worked just had to hold it down for awhile and the light went off, and everything seems to be back to normal. thanks all for your help