Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Brake lights causing turn signal problems

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2010, 10:47 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1987
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Brake lights causing turn signal problems

When I use right turn signal it works fine until I hit the brakes, both my rear blinker lights stay lit, and the green arrow on the dash stays lit.

Left side works great. Front markers only light up when supposed to, except for the right one doesn't work at all with brakes applied.

Again, all these issues only happen with brakes on. And brake lights work as should. Checked bulbs & sockets, fuses, cleaned all relay contacts, replaced blinker relay. Just started happening out of the blue and don't know where to go from here.

Anybody able to help??
Old 04-07-2010, 10:50 PM

Year: 1989
Engine: 4.7 Stroker I6

Just Expect Electrical Problems is right... I'm having all kinds of issues now, but when my blinkers were sticking when the headlights were on I had to reground the sockets in the front. But maybe its your brake light switch at the pedal?
Old 04-07-2010, 10:56 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Having the exact same issue, haven't looked into it yet tho. My guess is bad grounds. The old style light housings are notorious for having grounding issues.
Old 04-07-2010, 11:19 PM

forsure check all contacts but ur turn signal and brake lights run throught the signal switch. thats because when u step on the brake and are signaling it still flashs while the other light its braking. its most likely the signal switch!
Old 04-08-2010, 08:17 AM

Did some more digging, and found out I have a couple rusty sockets, but where do the rear tail-lights ground to so I can check that?
Old 04-08-2010, 10:03 AM

g102 g103 and a few otheres there all located in the rear behind the lights its a blk wire just follow it off the tail lights it goes through a connector and should be close also check your trailor connector maybe thats messed
Old 04-08-2010, 10:22 AM

I got to looking at the factory wiring locations, and I guess there's a couple relays by the left rear wheel well. I will check those too.
Old 04-09-2010, 01:48 AM

Year: 1989
Engine: 4.7 Stroker I6

I just re grounded my fronts to a new spot on the body, it was more of the ground wire in the socket was all rusted up though. gl.
Old 04-09-2010, 10:44 AM

Found my problem(s) - In the left rear area where the gas fill line goes down, there are about 10 connectors, 3 or 4 of them are for the taillights. The others are for dome/wiper/defroster. There were no relays like the FSM says.

ALL of the taillights' connectors were completely corroded or fried. Wires were so corroded they were breaking off at the connector, along with bulb sockets rusty on one side....and a complete mess of 3 sets of trailer wiring harness wires going all over the place - poorly hacked in. I had a 4-pin, a 7 pin, and a camper plug on there from when I bought it - all tapped in in different spots.

Went to U-pull-it, found the complete taillight wiring harnesses, spliced it in, and good to go! Bonus is that the replacement had a new 4-pin trailer wiring converter and plug neatly installed on it so I can use that for my boat trailer.
Old 04-12-2010, 03:12 PM

right on good job !! i need a trailer harness sounds likea good buy where u get that harness??
Old 07-04-2010, 02:46 PM

Year: 93'
Engine: built 4.0 H.O.
Default turn signal help..

I replaced the turn signal switch, flasers, fuse, and checked all the connections i could find and the four-ways work, but the dash lights stay lit when I turn the headlights on, when i turn the right or left turn signal on, the light on the dash goes out, but does not flash... any help would be a big help. this realllly got me puzzled, even the mechanics at the garage I work at.
Old 04-09-2012, 12:50 AM

Year: 2000
Engine: I6 4.6L Stroker
Talking

Originally Posted by yorkite
When I use right turn signal it works fine until I hit the brakes, both my rear blinker lights stay lit, and the green arrow on the dash stays lit.

Left side works great. Front markers only light up when supposed to, except for the right one doesn't work at all with brakes applied.

Again, all these issues only happen with brakes on. And brake lights work as should. Checked bulbs & sockets, fuses, cleaned all relay contacts, replaced blinker relay. Just started happening out of the blue and don't know where to go from here.

Anybody able to help??
I just fixed the problem on my HEEP. The problem was a simple ground wire for the taillights located under the driver's side in the back. It must have come loose from the vibrations. Either way the bolt that was holding half of them on wouldn't stay snug and so I replaced them with nuts and bolts. As soon as I did my lights worked, jeep stopped running rough and all the dim interior lights came back to normal brightness. I also found two connectors under the kick panels for the interior lights that were corroded. Other than that I had to replace the turn signal bulb as well.

-Mike