Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Brake cleaner instead of carb cleaner to clean the t.b. and reset ecu

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2013, 07:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Question Brake cleaner instead of carb cleaner to clean the t.b. and reset ecu

I'm about to manually clean the throttle body on my '90 xj 4.0. I have brake cleaner instead of carb cleaner. I've heard n read that it's fine, some ways better cause it doesn't leave a residue. Just thought to get another opinion. Also when I put the new 02 sensor in it seemed to run a little worse. (Like it did before cleaning the grounds) the engine again revs slightly up and down while in park at idle. The tach needle moves up n down a little bit. (1/8") or so. Wondering if I didn't reset the ecu properly. Will touching the positive batt. Terminal to neg. reset a renix computer? Also turned key to "on" lights on then off. Also had batt. Diconected overnight. Remeber a thread about it that was more involved.
Old 08-23-2013, 10:15 PM
CF Veteran

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Year: 1989 Laredo
Engine: 4.0 L 6 Renix
Default Use the correct brush

Use the cleaner sparingly and scrub the TB with some elbow grease. Your Throttle Position Sensor and IdleAirControl motor often don't like getting doused. The IAC won't mind if you clean the cone shaped pintle and the hole it enters, but be gentle and don't loose the oring on the IAC. The key to perfect job is to use your brother in laws toothbrush!
Attached Images  
Old 08-23-2013, 10:20 PM
CF Veteran

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Year: My Jeep is a GMC

^
Meant to say "Mother in Laws' toothbrush".
Old 08-23-2013, 10:23 PM
CF Veteran

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Year: 1989 Laredo
Engine: 4.0 L 6 Renix

M I L, lololololol, I would have but it already looked like that before the job and I didnt want to contaminate the throttle body.
Old 08-24-2013, 12:04 AM

Phone difficulties figuring out post issues
Old 08-24-2013, 12:15 AM

Not sure how to load images yet, but I support. To take away guns is to pretend one can live in a magic bubble, and no one will pop it. Thanks for advice on going easy with the cleaner. Read on how to be gentle with the iac. Far as pulling it off. Hope this helps the rough idle. After smog and when it's on the road I plan to sea foam or spray a little water down the intake.
Old 08-24-2013, 08:22 AM
Herp Derp Jerp

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0L OBD-II

Remember to not use chlorinated brake cleaner! I found the local house brand is mostly hexane. Relativey safe stuff that won't eat sensors or your health.

With O2s it's a little hard to tell since their input isn't always used. What brand did you put in your '90? Have you gone through cruiser54's "Mostly Renix Tips" in the writeups section and cleaned up your grounds?
Old 08-24-2013, 08:46 PM

About to install the tb after cleaning. Non chlorinated brake cleaner. Iac was pretty clean, wondering if its an after market (made in Mexico) I cleaned the grounds when I first got the jeep. But I noticed some on the driver fender side where the previous owner already scraped the paint away, but the connectors are crimped over bits of wire insulation, so I'm gonna give them new connectors crimped to bare wire. My MAP sensor vacuum line pulls real easy out of the rubber grommet on the throttle body. And in the hole I found a spider nest. I'm thinking I should make the vac line more secure to the grommet, maybe caulk or one wrap of electrical tape? The intake inside is caked with carbon. Want to to the steam clean trick but am a little hesitant to. Also saw that one can take the cat out and dump it in a tank of water and laundry detergent to clean it, or simply add some lauqer thinner to half a tank of gas. Either way I'm hesitant on that. (Never pulled a cat before). I used a bosh o2 after much research I thought I was best with an NGK, but for my year bosh was actually the oem provider.
Old 08-24-2013, 08:50 PM

Smile

Cruiser 54 mostly renix tips has been a big help in reviving my jeep. Very thankful to have access to his knowledge. Along with everyone else who uses this great forum! Puzzled how the MAP vac line works when connected to the bottom hole where it's solid in the t.b. and the top hole breathes openly. The top hole of the rubber grommet holding the vac line to the t.b. shouldn't be sealed right?

Last edited by Windsor 90 Laredo; 08-24-2013 at 09:31 PM. Reason: Continuing
Old 08-24-2013, 10:39 PM
::CF Moderator::

Received 1,526 Likes on 1,238 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by Windsor 90 Laredo
Cruiser 54 mostly renix tips has been a big help in reviving my jeep. Very thankful to have access to his knowledge. Along with everyone else who uses this great forum! Puzzled how the MAP vac line works when connected to the bottom hole where it's solid in the t.b. and the top hole breathes openly. The top hole of the rubber grommet holding the vac line to the t.b. shouldn't be sealed right?
Only one hole has vacuum and it's the lower one.
Old 08-25-2013, 12:54 AM

Originally Posted by cruiser54
Only one hole has vacuum and it's the lower one.
This I know, curious why the rubber grommet has two parts connected to the t.b. with only one line, does the top let air escape? Pointless question on my part. The jeep runs a bit better, still smells rich, but haven't been able to put in a lot of fresh gas and take it on the road. Sure then it will likely smell better.
Old 08-25-2013, 07:56 AM

This I know, curious why the rubber grommet has two parts connected to the t.b. with only one line, does the top let air escape? Pointless question on my part. The jeep runs a bit better, still smells rich, but haven't been able to put in a lot of fresh gas and take it on the road. Sure then it will likely smell better.
It's to retain the plug into the throttle body. That's a blind hole , the upper one. Weird deal.

On both of mine at home, I have already relocated my IAT to the air cleaner so I had a spare vacuum port on the intake manifold.

I put a vacuum fitting in that spot, and using a hair dryer, bent me up a MAP line from there to the MAP using parts of an old vacuum harness I had replaced.

Removed the throttle body and tapped the portfor a 1/8 pipe plug. No drilling required bTW.
Old 08-29-2013, 09:22 AM

Does relocating the IAT to run off the air cleaner make a big difference?
Old 08-29-2013, 09:34 AM
Herp Derp Jerp

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0L OBD-II

Yes in warm weather. There are a few writeups on it.
Old 08-29-2013, 02:17 PM

Does relocating the IAT to run off the air cleaner make a big difference?
Big? No.

Noticeable, yeah.

Quick Reply: Brake cleaner instead of carb cleaner to clean the t.b. and reset ecu