Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

brake booster line

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2009, 10:51 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2001
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Default brake booster line

can someone show me a pic of the 4.0l i6, and point to where the brake booster line is? i am about to seafoam my xj, and don't want to put it down the wrong hose..that won't be good.
Old 11-23-2009, 11:25 AM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1990 Renix
Model: Cherokee

Originally Posted by Chero93
can someone show me a pic of the 4.0l i6, and point to where the brake booster line is? i am about to seafoam my xj, and don't want to put it down the wrong hose..that won't be good.
pour a can where you put the oil and another where you put the gas

Not that I would want to take responsibility... but a buddy of mine who was restoring a 71 Camaro drained the oil... poured in ATF (automatic Trans. Fluid) which is a DETERGENT.... NOT A LUBRICATION!!!!!!!!!!!!! Same amount use as the oil calls for.. let the car run for 15 minutes at idle... then he drained the ATF and refilled it with synthetic + lucas additive.

It stopped the tickticktick... the smoking... and seemed to add HP and torque... its an old school method for a tear down and rebuild. He learned it from a mechanic buddy of his that makes $$$ rebuilding engines.. that is the first thing he does on all cars.. but he does a few rounds of it... ATF for 15min, oil for 20min, ATF for 15min, oil for 20min... does it untill the oil comes back clean.. and changes the filter each time...

And YES the guy is still in business... hasnt ruined a motor yet.. or atleast that anyone knows about..

But I HAVE seen it work..... Its kinda like pouring a can of Coke Classic on you windsheeld to remove the grit/road oils to make your wipers work again.. If it works, the wipers were not that bad... if it doesent, it was time for a replacement anyway..

120% your call

*** In no way is the above statement the opinion or view of a Certified Mechanic or anyone who has a controling interest on this forum... You get the idea..
Old 11-23-2009, 12:18 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 99
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by trapper

Not that I would want to take responsibility... but a buddy of mine who was restoring a 71 Camaro drained the oil... poured in ATF (automatic Trans. Fluid) which is a DETERGENT.... NOT A LUBRICATION!!!!!!!!!!!!! Same amount use as the oil calls for.. let the car run for 15 minutes at idle... then he drained the ATF and refilled it with synthetic + lucas additive.

It stopped the tickticktick... the smoking... and seemed to add HP and torque... its an old school method for a tear down and rebuild. He learned it from a mechanic buddy of his that makes $$$ rebuilding engines.. that is the first thing he does on all cars.. but he does a few rounds of it... ATF for 15min, oil for 20min, ATF for 15min, oil for 20min... does it untill the oil comes back clean.. and changes the filter each time...

And YES the guy is still in business... hasnt ruined a motor yet.. or atleast that anyone knows about..

But I HAVE seen it work..... Its kinda like pouring a can of Coke Classic on you windsheeld to remove the grit/road oils to make your wipers work again.. If it works, the wipers were not that bad... if it doesent, it was time for a replacement anyway..

120% your call

*** In no way is the above statement the opinion or view of a Certified Mechanic or anyone who has a controling interest on this forum... You get the idea..
this is tempting
Old 11-23-2009, 04:52 PM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by trapper

did that, just need to put in the brake booster line.

for get about this post..searching google, found this...https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f2/quick-question-about-brake-booster-vacuum-line-19058/
Old 11-23-2009, 07:00 PM
Seasoned Member

just finished "seafoaming" my jeep. runs a lot better now. i had smoke coming from every-which-way...front back and sides! is that bad? i know its supposed to come from the exhaust, but not the sides.
Old 11-23-2009, 07:58 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0

Exhaust leak?