Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Bought my 1st GPS unit

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2008, 01:52 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 94
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Default Bought my 1st GPS unit

Last weekend i went to a meet-n-greet for my local Jeep club, rode with a bud who's a pro driver. He had a Garmin touchscreen GPS and i saw how easily it was operated. I was impressed so i went and bought one today..

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=134&pID=13431

I decided not to go crazy with buying the biggest/baddest GPS because frankly, i wouldnt know what to do with it.. i'm a total newb to these units. Figure i'll give myself some time to learn how these operate and what functions i like/need.

But i do have a few questions, maybe someone will be familiar with this model or can tell from the specs list on the link posted.

Can i save offroad tracks and use them to navigate back exactly as traveled or will it give me an "as the crow flies route"?

Could i use this with some topo programs adding my route?

I understand this model is mostly a highway unit, but just wondering what i can do with it for Overlanding till i learn enough to realize what i need in a GPS.

BTW... wife was watching QVC and noticed the sale on this unit, asked if i could use one in the Jeep. God i love that woman...
Old 11-02-2008, 03:19 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not sure if you have the same one as my brother used when we went up to NC. But im sure if your offroad you can pinpoint a location.The one my brother was using,if you wanted to get something to eat you could choose what you were in the mood for and it will tell you what was in the area.But like i said you could probaly pin point a location.
Old 11-02-2008, 03:19 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1987
Model: Wagoneer
Engine: 4.0

YOU MAY WANT TO CHECK THIS ONE OUT. read all the peoples thoughts. you may need 2 but this is a crossover so it may do what you want.
http://www.gpsreview.net/magellan-crossover-gps
Old 11-02-2008, 04:32 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 94
Engine: 4.0L

I read about the Magellan Crossover, and it has a good rep from users. Intrepid here runs it and he seems happy, certainly seems capable for what i would need.

I may have jumped the gun purchasing this particular unit but i'll live with it for awhile.

From what i understand, if the road is listed on a map or gazatteer the software in the nuvi 255w should recongize the route. Most of my travels here on the east coast are listed on gaz' as they are mostly maintained forest roads where we camp.
Old 11-02-2008, 08:22 PM

Year: 2000
Engine: 4L

I don't own your model but I've been using one from Delorme for almost a year, and it's a must for me when I go hiking into the Cascades. It helps me driving to a trail head then it keeps me on trail during hiking. I've loaded reagional USGS topo maps and it also includes most forest roads so I can easily create route and it'll navigate me through highways AND forest roads. My unit is velcro'd on dash as seen below.

xj2000
Attached Thumbnails Bought my 1st GPS unit-gpsxj2.jpg