Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

bought another Cherokee and another set of issues lol

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2009, 08:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Question bought another Cherokee and another set of issues lol

My 1991 Laredo had major elec/lights issues b/c of the moron tapping in a stereo, subs, and off road lights. Initially had only brake lights and headlights - now have everything but brake lights and gauge lights.

Gave up on that one and trying to unload in for 800.

'New' one 1992 Limited with a 3" lift and 32" tires, paid 2 grand - needed a windshield which I already replaced.

ISSUES: (please post any suggestions)
Sizeable oil leak, bottom of oil pan is wet so maybe just pan gasket?
Hard starting
Butter looking substance on dipstick (already changed oil and added Lucas)
Some rattling when starting cold for a couple seconds (ROD KNOCK?)
Alignment seems to suck bad, will it ever be good with lift/tires?

I like this one, curious if it will make it through the summer or what minor maintenance I can do right now.

Also any links to changing front/rear diff fluid?
Old 02-21-2009, 08:24 AM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 90
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by G DIESEL
My 1991 Laredo had major elec/lights issues b/c of the moron tapping in a stereo, subs, and off road lights. Initially had only brake lights and headlights - now have everything but brake lights and gauge lights.

Gave up on that one and trying to unload in for 800.

'New' one 1992 Limited with a 3" lift and 32" tires, paid 2 grand - needed a windshield which I already replaced.

ISSUES: (please post any suggestions)
Sizeable oil leak, bottom of oil pan is wet so maybe just pan gasket?
Hard starting
Butter looking substance on dipstick (already changed oil and added Lucas)
Some rattling when starting cold for a couple seconds (ROD KNOCK?)
Alignment seems to suck bad, will it ever be good with lift/tires?

I like this one, curious if it will make it through the summer or what minor maintenance I can do right now.

Also any links to changing front/rear diff fluid?

Butter and rattling are probably related.... But depending on local temps Lucas can make at cold rattle MUCH worse... All it does is thicken the oil... Your lifters aren't staying full of oil. So it drains back to the pan, and the oil pump has to refill the lifters to make the noise go away... Now with thicker oil, it takes longer....

There is a write-up in the write-up section here for changing diff fluids. Front and rear use the same procedure. I believe Jon wrote it as 'how to change a D-30 cover" or something like that. It is completely hysterical, but contains all the info you need to do it.

Oil leaks.... front of the pan or rear??? Start by checking your timing chain cover, the valve cover and the rear main seal. Other than the oil filter adapter these are the most common culprits for oil leaks...

The color of the crud in the Oil pan is a bit concerning though... If your pan is full of sludge from cruddy oil or some sort of stop leak.. then you get water intrusion from either a leak or from condensation you get a soft butter consistency stuff that will be a light creamy color.
Old 02-21-2009, 09:07 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2000

http://www.4x4xplor.com/diff-service.html link for your diff. fluid change
Old 02-21-2009, 01:08 PM

Default maybe?

I had buttery substance on the bottom of my dip stick when my engone overheated warped head and blew head gasket. Water in oil caused this buttery substance. Hope for your sake this is not it. If they did change the head and gasket, proior to you buying it, it could be just residue and an oil change could fix it. After your oil change do you still have buttery substance??
Old 02-21-2009, 04:10 PM

the guy I bought it from talked alot of crap about maintenance, when I changed the oil there may have been 2 qts came out. It was offroad most of the time and the interior was full of mud, he was too lazy to clean it to sell it for more lol.

It doesn't smoke at all, which I figured it would if it were getting coolant or water into the oil. But it leaks a good 10" puddle after sitting awhile.
Old 02-21-2009, 04:53 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 2000

could be rear main seal these are known to leak. do a compression test then you can determine if the head is good or need's to be resurfaced and a new gasket
Old 02-22-2009, 05:09 AM

I appreciate all the quick feedback, I look forward to fixing this one up some and having some fun this summer with it.

Going to try some of the hard starting suggestions I've seen in other posts too...