Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Bored TB, Injectors, Cold Air Intake & Performance Exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2010, 04:03 AM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0L
Default Bored TB, Injectors, Cold Air Intake & Performance Exhaust

I've been considering something like these performance upgrades for awhile. The nice thing about these things is I could possibly get a few extra MPGs.

I've been looking into a 62mm bored throttle body, 19# Dodge Neon injectors, a cold air intake, and a performance exhaust. I do have a few questions, though.

With all these modifications, does anybody know what I can expect to gain? Will I need a throttle body spacer? For the exhaust, I do not want something real loud, just a little extra performance, any suggestions? Does anybody have any other suggestions?

I would really appreciate any input. Thanks!
Old 06-12-2010, 06:52 AM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 HO

Throttle body spacer is a waste of money and does nothing for MPI engine. It does help with TBI engine where it allows the air/fuel mixture to mix better before entering the cylinders. Some idiots will claim that this and a $150 chip gave them 50 "seat of the pants" hp but its just smoke and mirrors. plus Ive heard of TB spacers whistling and being annoying.

What kind of intake are you thinking? A true cold air intake would have to be in the cowl to pull cold outside air, not in the engine bay pulling hot air from the motor.

Another way to free up ponies, get rid of the mechanical fan pulley. Ive notice a nice gain in throttle response
Old 06-12-2010, 08:19 AM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0 rebuilt w/ bored TB, banks header, upgraded ignition, 3 row rad, high flow h2o pump, 180* t-stat

make your own intake
I got my bored TB from thefastman.com
i run the neon injectors, they work good.
performance exhaust wont help unless you get a performance header also, i run the banks power header, but there are lots to choose from
id get a flowmaster for exhaust.
i would suggest upgrading your ignition system also
I tried the performance distributors firewire kit and it works alright,
im goin with MSD eventually.
two biggest gains ive seen are from the bored TB and the neon injectors.
has more power, smoother idle, and crisp throttle response.
of course ive never had one without the other so....
Old 06-12-2010, 08:35 AM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Engine: 4.0 HO

You can also bore your own TB out to 60mm just by grinding the lower lip off
Old 06-12-2010, 09:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1996 Sport
Engine: 4.0L H.O.

spacer is good for adding volume to the old design intake manifold (whistling happens if the i.d. doesn't match up and it is not continuous and smooth all the the way through)....that said....your hp gain will be how you measure being pinned to the back of your seat when you let it loose! i grin big every single time and i still have to swap out the injectors/intake manifold and exhaust eventually....but no complaints so far!

1. modified intake - however you do it, the result should be that you have ~30% more than your engine capacity in COLD FILTERED AIR available after the filter to ensure proper throttle response and combustion...location depends on driving environment and what works for you.
2. 62/63mm bored all the way through TB to match up to intake manifold opening - any more is useless
3. replace stock injectors with 238cc bosch injectors common in dodge/chrysler: oem#5277739 and bosch#0280155703
4. replace intake manifold with 2001 version - include ps bracket
5. cat back exhaust - gibson, flowmaster, magnaflow, pacestter, etc. or replace header back if header is cracked.

etc...etc...etc...
Old 06-12-2010, 09:59 AM
"CF Moderator"

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1994
Engine: l6 HO

Originally Posted by TheJerm
Throttle body spacer is a waste of money and does nothing for MPI engine. It does help with TBI engine where it allows the air/fuel mixture to mix better before entering the cylinders. Some idiots will claim that this and a $150 chip gave them 50 "seat of the pants" hp but its just smoke and mirrors. plus Ive heard of TB spacers whistling and being annoying.

What kind of intake are you thinking? A true cold air intake would have to be in the cowl to pull cold outside air, not in the engine bay pulling hot air from the motor.

Another way to free up ponies, get rid of the mechanical fan pulley. Ive notice a nice gain in throttle response
X2 on the spacer. I had my TB bored to 64mm from http://www.strokedjeep.com/tbody.html and he did a great job. I also put the ford injectors in and gained 2-3 mpg avg...Tj
Old 06-12-2010, 10:03 AM
Registered Users

Spacers suck. The po put one on my jeep and it sounds like a mini blow off valve when i shift. haha. A cai and free flow exhaust should give you a small increase in power and mpg but mainly throttle response.
Old 06-12-2010, 10:05 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0 rebuilt w/ bored TB, banks header, upgraded ignition, 3 row rad, high flow h2o pump, 180* t-stat

dont forgot a high flow catalytic converter too, and run your exhaust 2.5" all the way through