Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Bolts under crossmember

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2015, 09:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1989
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Bolts under crossmember

I've got a large bolt that's loose / halfway out under the cross-member between the transmission and xfer case; there's one on the left and one on the right side.

Anybody know what it is and the torque specs? Also I've never dropped the cross-member do I need to support anything first or can I safely pop it off?
Old 06-10-2015, 09:56 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1992
Engine: 4.0L, brown dog mounts, spectre cowl intake, 10 series flowmaster

The bolts that hold the x member on? Any pics? Just try and tighten it up. U won't have to support anything if the rest of the bolts are tight.
Old 06-10-2015, 10:35 PM

No It's a large bolt under the cross-member. Kind of hard to see:

Maybe a mounting bolt for the transmission or x-fer case. If the important stuff is supported It should be pretty east to tighten.
Old 06-10-2015, 10:53 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1992
Engine: 4.0L, brown dog mounts, spectre cowl intake, 10 series flowmaster

I just looked under mine and couldn't find any big bolts like that. Its hard to tell exactly were it is from that pic though. U should have 4 bolts holding the x member on 2 on each side and 4 nuts in the center of the x member that hold the trans mount on.
Old 06-10-2015, 11:12 PM

Yeah there's another on the driver's side that isn't loose. Thanks man good to know It isn't critically supporting anything
Old 06-10-2015, 11:19 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1993

Originally Posted by blackandgrey
Yeah there's another on the driver's side that isn't loose. Thanks man good to know It isn't critically supporting anything
what he said but after the 4 bolts that mount the Trans mount to the cross member, there are 2 that mount the trans mount to the trans. That looks like one of those bolts to me. I just removed my transfer case the other day so that pic looks like the bolt for the trans mount to the trans that I saw when I unbolted mine.
Old 06-10-2015, 11:22 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1993

The bolt going up into the trans
Attached Thumbnails Bolts under crossmember-image-365986882.jpg  
Old 06-11-2015, 06:28 AM
::CF Moderator::

Received 1,526 Likes on 1,238 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

I know what you're talking about.

Remove them one at a time. Clean the threads. Apply some LocTite to the threads and reinstall. I can't find torque specs. Even a Gasket sealer except RTV would help keep them from backing out. It's pretty common for them to loosen up.
Old 06-11-2015, 07:47 AM
CF Veteran

Received 82 Likes on 67 Posts
Year: 1999

55 Ft/Lbs.

I just lightly coat the threads with oil then torque to spec. If torqued properly they won't come out.

If you use Loctite you'll play hell getting them out later.
Old 06-11-2015, 07:50 AM

I've found though, that the aluminum threads will be a bit "compromised" from having the bolts loose for a while. Hence the advocation of using something to take up the slack.
Old 06-11-2015, 08:05 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by cruiser54
I've found though, that the aluminum threads will be a bit "compromised" from having the bolts loose for a while. Hence the advocation of using something to take up the slack.

I don't post as much as I'd like to.......**** like this is frustrating as hell.

Yes, the threads are worn.

I have the same situation on my AX5 with three bolts. And the identical problem on my tractor with the hitch plate that bolts to the bottom of the trans.

He needs to clean the threads out.....brake cleaner......and chase if he has a thread chaser.

Replace bolt with new bolt.
Coat threads of bolt with Ultra Black or similar.
Install bolt and torque to snug.

The value of 'snug' comes with experience. It's a matter of knowing how tight before too tight.

You guys who are instructing to go immediately to the charted torque value need to knock that **** off!!!!

Life is not lived on a chart or a book or the ****ing internet.

The art of thinking is lost......clearly.

If he oils the bolt and goes straight to 55lbs he's going to have a new problem and then be completely lost.
Old 06-11-2015, 08:10 AM

Originally Posted by Jeep Driver
I don't post as much as I'd like to.......**** like this is frustrating as hell.

Yes, the threads are worn.

I have the same situation on my AX5 with three bolts. And the identical problem on my tractor with the hitch plate that bolts to the bottom of the trans.

He needs to clean the threads out.....brake cleaner......and chase if he has a thread chaser.

Replace bolt with new bolt.
Coat threads of bolt with Ultra Black or similar.
Install bolt and torque to snug.

The value of 'snug' comes with experience. It's a matter of knowing how tight before too tight.

You guys who are instructing to go immediately to the charted torque value need to knock that **** off!!!!

Life is not lived on a chart or a book or the ****ing internet.

The art of thinking is lost......clearly.

If he oils the bolt and goes straight to 55lbs he's going to have a new problem and then be completely lost.
Here's my experience on more than a few.

Bolts loose. Aluminum threads worn. Clean bolts up as they are steel and fine. Spray out the holes to remove debris. Use a thread sealant on the bolt after brake cleaner has dried. I like Permatex #2. I don't torque them either. I have a value in my head/body to determine how tight. Never a problem again.
Old 06-11-2015, 08:33 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

The only reason I suggested a new bolt is that the bolt will cut the aluminum in a new way/place.

He should at least swap the bolts around.
Old 06-11-2015, 09:23 AM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0L I6 HO

Originally Posted by Jeep Driver
I don't post as much as I'd like to.......**** like this is frustrating as hell. Yes, the threads are worn. I have the same situation on my AX5 with three bolts. And the identical problem on my tractor with the hitch plate that bolts to the bottom of the trans. He needs to clean the threads out.....brake cleaner......and chase if he has a thread chaser. Replace bolt with new bolt. Coat threads of bolt with Ultra Black or similar. Install bolt and torque to snug. The value of 'snug' comes with experience. It's a matter of knowing how tight before too tight. You guys who are instructing to go immediately to the charted torque value need to knock that **** off!!!! Life is not lived on a chart or a book or the ****ing internet. The art of thinking is lost......clearly. If he oils the bolt and goes straight to 55lbs he's going to have a new problem and then be completely lost.
not everyone is a pro like you are so no reason to spill your morning coffee over it. Snug to a 300lb man and snug to 150lb man are very different too dont forgot. Add into that breaker bars. Also add careers. Some people are use to using their arms more than others so they might go until the bolt breaks because "it didn't feel snug enough." Im not saying every little bolt needs to be torqued but theres a reason those values exist.

Go for a walk, its semi decent weather out. Unless your in an area affected by them damn Canadians wild fires that are destroying our air quality bwahahahahaha
Old 06-11-2015, 10:04 AM

Those bolts came from the factory with Locktite on them. I just replaced the transmission mount on mine and it was the original transmission mount. When the bolts (finally) came out, they had blue Locktite on them. The bolts obviously weren't lose, and my XJ has 164,000mi. on it. I'd say do what the factory does, Locktite and factory torque specifications. If it works for the factory for over 164,000mi., then I would do same thing. If the bolt works it's way lose again, try different measures.

Quick Reply: Bolts under crossmember