Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Boat ramp w/manual transmission?

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2010, 10:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1997
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Boat ramp w/manual transmission?

I might be buying two jetskis/waverunners on a trailer. Not a lot of weight here, but getting up the boat ramp will be interesting with a manual transmission.

I did some searching, but still not clear.

In 2WD that seems like you need a perfect clutch grab/accelerate to get up the ramp. I'm not perfect.

4WD LO with a crawl up the boat ramp is another option, but not finding a lot of info.

Anyone with some experience in this area? I need some pointers. Thanks
Old 07-13-2010, 10:31 PM
CF Veteran

Received 94 Likes on 85 Posts
Year: 1990, 1999, 2000

easier said than done, but what i would do is hold the brake and ease out the clutch until you feel it start to grab. then hold the clutch there and ease off the brake. you should be able to hold yourself there with the clutch.
don't panic and shove the clutch in or you will quickly just roll back into the water. but once you can hold yourself still with the clutch, just slowly ease the clutch out until you start to roll forward, the engine should rev up slightly on it's own as long as you don't just release the clutch totally. then you can ease on the gas pedal, but don't over rev it and fumble with the clutch.

it is an art form to be able to hear the revs of the motor and know how much clutch to use.

with that said, it is easier when it's in 4 low. at least until you master the whole clutch/gas thing.

practice on a hill with no trailer. it's really not that hard, once you get the hang of it.

good luck.
Old 07-13-2010, 10:36 PM

E-Brake
Old 07-13-2010, 11:06 PM

Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0 HO

??? I put my 19 foot boat in the water in 2wd on steep salt water slimy rocky ramps in my 5 speed jeep with 3.07s and 33s no problem.I even pull it out with 5-6 people on it. I would not say there is any magic clutch action that needs to happen, maybe just competence with a manual transmission vehicle
Old 07-13-2010, 11:10 PM

Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0 liter HO

Originally Posted by 206junglist
??? I put my 19 foot boat in the water in 2wd on steep salt water slimy rocky ramps in my 5 speed jeep with 3.07s and 33s no problem.I even pull it out with 5-6 people on it.I would not say there is any magic clutch action that needs to happen, maybe just competence with a manual transmission vehicle
That is what caged was saying.
Old 07-14-2010, 12:14 AM
Honorary Moderator

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0 upgraded

to get used to it, you can hold your e-brake up to hold you while you transfer your foot, But 4lo would be OK if it was a real slick surface to allow for a bit of wheel slip if you needed to turn at all but the short distance up the ramp in a strait line 4lo would give you alot of power to get up the ramp. 2wd should be just fine!

i have never had a problem
Old 07-14-2010, 12:52 AM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1987

if you're not that good, then you can't do it.

if you have to read how to do it, do yourself a favor and sell the jeep and get an automatic jeep.

these types of things with a 5 speed are just plain common sense. they're learned off of experience, not off of description.

but, basically, let off of the clutch at the exact rate that you push in on the gas. nice and easy on each one, don't hesitate, and don't kill it. find a happy medium.

if you cannot manage that, then revert to my initial assessment.
Old 07-14-2010, 05:41 AM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1990 - 2000

Practice or use 4WD-Low. I towed a 3000 lb sailboat with my 5 sp and always used 4WD-Low on the ramp (in or out). It takes most of the strain off of the engine in the clutch. It also allowed me to shut it off in gear and not relly on the parking brake to hold it in place while I launched the boat. When you get to where it levels out when pulling out, go back to 2WD.
Old 07-14-2010, 06:22 AM
Registered Users

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Year: 2000 @ 1994 givin away

AWWWWW yes all you guys putting the kid down,I remeber you guys came out of your mother's driving stick shift and never had to LEARN IT never had to be shown never stalled it never ground the gears so ******* perfect grow up u bunch of pac/kers.

Last edited by COSXJFAN; 07-14-2010 at 08:44 AM.
Old 07-14-2010, 07:04 AM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1987

Originally Posted by rich
AWWWWW yes all you guys putting the kid down,I remeber you guys came out of your mother's driving stick shift and never had to LEARN IT never had to be shown never stalled it never ground the gears so fuc//ng perfect grow up u bunch of pac/kers.
learn to spell, or don't post.

i've been driving stick since I was 7 or 8 when we got our first sandrail. known how to use a clutch since before that, because my dad restored tractors.

it's the biggest common sense thing on earth. you let go of clutch fast, it jerks and dies. let go slow, it slips and rolls backwards. let go in the middle, while increasing engine RPM (foot on gas, push slow), and it's just perfect.

if someone can't figure that out, they shouldn't drive a 5 speed. it doesn't take skill...my 80 year old grandma can still do it, and my 10 year old cousin can do it.
Old 07-14-2010, 08:10 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1999

use the hand break!! works every time!
Old 07-14-2010, 08:34 AM
Registered Users

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Year: 2000 @ 1994 givin away
Default crybaby

Originally Posted by JeepCoMJ

i've been driving stick since I was 7 or 8 when we got our first sandrail. known how to use a clutch since before that, because my dad restored tractors.

it's the biggest common sense thing on earth. you let go of clutch fast, it jerks and dies. let go slow, it slips and rolls backwards. let go in the middle, while increasing engine RPM (foot on gas, push slow), and it's just perf

if someone can't figure that out, they shouldn't drive a 5 speed. it doesn't take skill...my 80 year old grandma can still do it, and my 10 year old cousin can do it.
AWWW so sorry I miss typed ONE word Mr. Crybaby looks like you better get back on mommas T/TTY or maybe grow up I was 7 or 8 lol lol ok.
Old 07-14-2010, 08:42 AM
Do you hear banjos?

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

if you have to read how to do it, do yourself a favor and sell the jeep and get an automatic jeep.

these types of things with a 5 speed are just plain common sense. they're learned off of experience, not off of description.

if you cannot manage that, then revert to my initial assessment.
Originally Posted by 206junglist
??? I put my 19 foot boat in the water in 2wd on steep salt water slimy rocky ramps in my 5 speed jeep with 3.07s and 33s no problem.I even pull it out with 5-6 people on it. I would not say there is any magic clutch action that needs to happen, maybe just competence with a manual transmission vehicle
All useless statements in this thread. If this is your advice, save it!

Originally Posted by rich
AWWWWW yes all you guys putting the kid down,I remeber you guys came out of your mother's driving stick shift and never had to LEARN IT never had to be shown never stalled it never ground the gears so ******* perfect grow up u bunch of pac/kers.
I agree!

Someone with so much experience should be able to offer great advice on the topic then...???

it's the biggest common sense thing on earth. you let go of clutch fast, it jerks and dies. let go slow, it slips and rolls backwards. let go in the middle, while increasing engine RPM (foot on gas, push slow), and it's just perfect.

Another useless addition to the thread from an obvious master of manual transmissions!! Instead of using your intelligence to publicly cut someone down, try filtering out all of that BS, and actually contributing! You have to be able to add more than this crap, right??
Old 07-14-2010, 08:43 AM

okay lets all be jack ***** too. that will help someone with their problem.

seriously. just put the hand break on and gas it up and let the clutch out slowly and release the handbreak slowly too.
Old 07-14-2010, 08:44 AM

i was exaggerating with my above post

Quick Reply: Boat ramp w/manual transmission?