Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Blown head gasket good bottom end?

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2015, 08:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Blown head gasket good bottom end?

Hi I'm new and still figuring this out but I have a 97 xj 4.0 with the 3.5 rubicon lift with 31s it has 249xxx miles but ran strong bottom end was rebuilt about 25k ago replaced several parts I was on my way home and it started to run rough and CEL was blinking so I pulled over my number 4 and 6 cylinder was misfiring there was smoke every where there was no antifreeze in it I've figured the issue out its either the head or head gasket I'm going to have the head sent off and check for cracks or it bein warped but I noticed there was coolant in the oil a few weeks before I seen smoke coming through where my e brake is my heat shield fell off so i figured it was my muffler heating the floor board well it ain't it was antifreeze burning the most I would drive it a day would be 10 minutes 20 at the most so what I'm asking is when I fix this issue will it start back and did I damage anything in the bottom end rod bearings main bearings etc. and will the motor be fine before I put the time and money in thanks
Old 06-18-2015, 08:42 PM

I forgot to add the number 4 cylinder has no compression and cylinder 6 only has 60 psi so that's how I know it's in the head
Old 06-18-2015, 09:14 PM
CF Veteran

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Year: My Jeep is a GMC

It might be prudent to start looking for a fresh engine.
Old 06-18-2015, 11:50 PM
CF Veteran

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Year: 90,84
Engine: 4.0,2.5

Odiously he is in some third world country with English as a second language. Freight on that new one is gonna be steep.
Old 06-19-2015, 12:27 AM

I'm gonna have the head magna fluxed then new head gasket set ECT sensor thermostat tune up oil change flush coolant system etc. and go from their and what do you mean English is second language I'm American in the military and living in America
Old 06-19-2015, 09:35 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0 I6

As long as head doesn't need much if any work most you'll be out is time and parts spent.
Old 06-19-2015, 06:39 PM
CF Veteran

Received 952 Likes on 767 Posts
Year: 1998 Classic (I'll get it running soon....) and 02 Grand
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by 97lifted
I'm gonna have the head magna fluxed then new head gasket set ECT sensor thermostat tune up oil change flush coolant system etc. and go from their and what do you mean English is second language I'm American in the military and living in America

Then why don't you use punctuation? Are you that ignorant or that lazy?

It makes your posts hard to read. Why should anyone make any effort to help you if you are too lazy to make the effort to use proper punctuation?
Old 06-19-2015, 07:30 PM
Banned

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: Golen 4.6L

Originally Posted by DFlintstone
Odiously he is in some third world country with English as a second language.
Oh irony, how odious thou art!

... and what do you mean English is second language I'm American in the military and living in America
He's talking about the wall of text in your first post. A lot of people just tune out and stop reading when they see a huge run-on sentence like that. Throw in a few periods, and people will be more helpful.
Old 06-19-2015, 08:54 PM
CF Veteran

I deleted a rude remark to 97lifted. Crap grammar happens, but it was me having a bad day that made it ...unacceptable. 97, we both have room for improvement!

Last edited by DFlintstone; 06-20-2015 at 04:36 AM.
Old 06-19-2015, 11:03 PM

You must have no life to sit on a forum and correct peoples grammar guess what no period how about that what are you too lazy to read it without it oh look no period again huh how bout that oh no comma I can careless if people post about it or not I've already figured my answer out I was bored so I figured I would give it a shot oh look no punctuation if it was really a problem why in the hell would you reply
Old 06-19-2015, 11:43 PM
CF Veteran

Yer right. On my breaks I don't have much better to do. Sometimes posters respond with "O geez, sorry, I'll write so you can read it and fill out my info" Nobody trying to help here is paid, or wanting to deal with a tangled up mess. It's all good bro, I'll back out now.
Old 06-20-2015, 03:57 AM
Banned

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: Golen 4.6L

You must have no life to sit on a forum and correct peoples grammar guess what no period how about that what are you too lazy to read it without it oh look no period again huh how bout that oh no comma I can careless if people post about it or not I've already figured my answer out I was bored so I figured I would give it a shot oh look no punctuation if it was really a problem why in the hell would you reply
Look, believe it or not, some of us are trying to be helpful. The way you write is difficult to read. It's not just about a few grammatical errors. These walls of text with no punctuation come across as gibberish.

There was a poll and discussion on here a while back about this kind of thing, and the general consensus was that when people come across a post that looks like gibberish, many of the more knowledgeable members simply do not respond. You want help? People are here to give it. But you have to help yourself first by presenting the problem in a way that people can actually understand what the hell you're saying. Not everyone here is Ernest Hemingway, but just a little more effort to communicate effectively will go a long way.
Old 06-21-2015, 01:44 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by extrashaky
Oh irony, how odious thou art!
Ha! I just caught that. Obviously I myself ares stll workn at it. A main reason I'm here at all. In 2010 I couldn't type at all, and my spelling was way worse. (I will never spell..brain wiring is gumbo for that)
Old 06-21-2015, 08:16 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Engine: 4.0 I6

Hi I'm new and still figuring this out.
I have a 97 xj 4.0 with the 3.5 rubicon lift with 31s. It has 249xxx miles but ran strong, bottom end was rebuilt about 25k ago, I replaced several parts.

I was on my way home and it started to run rough and CEL was blinking so I pulled over. My number 4 and 6 cylinder was misfiring, there was smoke every where, there was no antifreeze in it.

I've figured the issue out its either the head or head gasket. I'm going to have the head sent off and check for cracks or it bein warped. But I noticed there was coolant in the oil. A few weeks before, I seen smoke coming through where my e brake is. My heat shield fell off, so i figured it was my muffler heating the floor board, well it ain't, it was antifreeze burning.

the most I would drive it a day would be 10 minutes 20 at the most.
so what I'm asking is when I fix this issue will it start back and did I damage anything in the bottom end, rod bearings, main bearings etc. and will the motor be fine before I put the time and money in thanks

Not perfect, but better. Can't waste data on punctuation, spaces, or God forbid, paragraphs.

So, 4 & 6 have little or no compression. How does this determine the head or gasket is bad? You may have cooked the rings, or other damage.