Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

blown head gasket

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2013, 07:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default blown head gasket

i have a 98 cherokee with the 4.0. im having some troubles with it. first it was overheating and i got that fixed. then my head gasket went out....i think. so i replaced it myself i did not have a torque wrench to tighten it to the reccomended specs. so i tightened them to the best of my ability. well after i got it all pit back together it ever since has had a chug to the motor. it burns oil alot and it leakes oil alot on the drivers side of the motor.butmy oil pressure light is on and it says my oil pressure is almost zero. what would be causing this problem with the pressure the chugging and the oil leaking and burning. any suggestion this is my daily driver so i have to get it fixed, thanks
Old 04-24-2013, 08:00 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1998 Sport
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by gpittman
i have a 98 cherokee with the 4.0. im having some troubles with it. first it was overheating and i got that fixed. then my head gasket went out....i think. so i replaced it myself i did not have a torque wrench to tighten it to the reccomended specs. so i tightened them to the best of my ability. well after i got it all pit back together it ever since has had a chug to the motor. it burns oil alot and it leakes oil alot on the drivers side of the motor.butmy oil pressure light is on and it says my oil pressure is almost zero. what would be causing this problem with the pressure the chugging and the oil leaking and burning. any suggestion this is my daily driver so i have to get it fixed, thanks
Did you check out the head to make sure that it wasn't warped or cracked. If not that can be the whole problem. I hate to say it. But if you do a half a$$ job on repairing it. You will get half a$$ results when you are done.

Last edited by RTorrez1; 04-24-2013 at 08:03 PM.
Old 04-24-2013, 09:13 PM
CF Veteran

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Year: 90,84
Engine: 4.0,2.5

There is an outside chance that if you get your hands on a torque wrench and torque it, that might help. I doubt that will help the oil pressure, but just maybe the running and leaking. Doing a compression test before and after might give useful info.
Old 04-25-2013, 02:13 AM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

I think that head has to come back off, check head and block for warpage and re-seal.
If you didn't torque the bolts to spec AND in the correct sequence, it's highly likely the gasket didn't seal or the head is now warped.
The $20 click-wrench at Autozone is better than nothing.
What was the oil pressure like before you pulled the head?
Old 04-25-2013, 05:58 PM

i do not know what the oil pressure was before i tore it apart, i think it was a little low. if my head is warped what can i do to fix it would it be better to get it re-machined or should i go to the junkyard and get a used one.i believe it is not sealed caus the drivers side of the motor undernieth is covered in oil but the passanger side is dry. i know my valve cover gasket is bad to but around the valve cover gasket is dry also no oil around it.
Old 04-25-2013, 06:59 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1998 Sport

Originally Posted by gpittman
i do not know what the oil pressure was before i tore it apart, i think it was a little low. if my head is warped what can i do to fix it would it be better to get it re-machined or should i go to the junkyard and get a used one.i believe it is not sealed caus the drivers side of the motor undernieth is covered in oil but the passanger side is dry. i know my valve cover gasket is bad to but around the valve cover gasket is dry also no oil around it.
If the head isn't to bad you can have it resurfaced. If you pull it also have it checked for cracks. When you reinstall it. Get yourself a torque wrench. Even if you have to rent one from the parts store and torque it to the proper specs.

Last edited by RTorrez1; 04-25-2013 at 07:37 PM.
Old 04-25-2013, 08:00 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1997

i belive you are supposed to use new head bolts too, it is very ver crucial too torquing head bolts, rod bolts, and main bolts on an engine. the others you can get away with for the most part.

what does the oil look lie? milky at all? if so an inspection of rod and main bearings needs to be done. that would explain the low oil pressure.

as of right now you need a new headgasket, send the head off too be checked for warpage and cracks, new head bolts. valve cover gasket, etc. once again use a torque wrench......... new oil and filter too
Old 04-25-2013, 08:11 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1990
Engine: 4.0 I6

Why is the valve cover gasket bad? You had to take the valve cover off to change the head gasket. As others have stated there is a specific sequence to torque the head, and its 3 stages. So you probably dont have a good clamp/seal and may be causing damage to the engine.

You can have it resurfaced. Though at this stage you may just want to look into getting a new engine, may be less costly to buy a 400$ jy engine with a warranty.
Old 04-26-2013, 01:45 AM
CF Veteran

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0 HO

Sounds like you took a job in that was over your head. Get it? lol.

Could have been a better troll job if your name was Cam.

The first post was to hard of a read for me to take it seriously. Sorry for trolling.