Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Blowing fuses

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2017, 09:31 AM
jpk

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Blowing fuses

I have a 96 Country 4x4, 4.0L.

Fuse #15 keeps blowing when I turn on my lights. The only things affected when it blows are the instrument lights and my fog lights. Head lights work as well as all gauges. I have an additional issue with my power door locks blowing a fuse when I unlock the doors. Locking works fine. I'm not too concerned with the door locks as I can live without the function but I do need the instrument lights working. Any suggestions as to how to track this down?
Old 06-21-2017, 06:31 PM
CF Veteran

Received 951 Likes on 767 Posts
Year: 1998 Classic (I'll get it running soon....) and 02 Grand
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0

Start by disconnecting everything that is on that circuit. Then put a test light across where the fuse belongs, and start reconnecting things one at a time. When the test light comes on, you know you have the culprit.

Sometimes it's as simple as a bulb that has shorted. More often they blow, but once in a while they will develop an internal short.
Old 06-22-2017, 05:19 AM
jpk

I think I may have solved the source of the issue but I will check once I have the part out. I think the headlight switch itself has gone south. It seems the headlight switch in XJ's is prone to overheating and in some cases melting over time. I'm sure this is the original unit to the vehicle.
Old 06-22-2017, 05:59 AM

Received 43 Likes on 38 Posts
Year: 98, 00, 01 and another 01
Engine: both 01 jeeps have viper coil pack

cut the hot wire to the fog lights. reconnect if they are not the problem.
Old 06-22-2017, 10:55 AM
jpk

Originally Posted by cpttuna
cut the hot wire to the fog lights. reconnect if they are not the problem.
They are factory fog lights. I have to remove the front bumper to get to the plugs to disconnect.
Old 06-22-2017, 11:51 AM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0L

I'd put my money on a crispy headlight switch
Old 06-22-2017, 10:09 PM
CF Veteran

Yep, that's why the headlight harness is a good modification.
Old 06-23-2017, 06:23 AM
jpk

Originally Posted by BlueRidgeMark
Yep, that's why the headlight harness is a good modification.
And so educate me. Headlight harness mod?
Old 06-23-2017, 06:29 AM
jpk

I have removed my HL switch. The harness plug is in like new condition. The headlight switch itself is also, externally, in like new visual condition. The switch operates smoothly, with firm positive clicks. I realize that means nothing but is it usual for the switch to look ok externally yet inside be toast? Still, since it such a PITA to remove I will be buying a replacement today. Any opinions on the BDW switch? Looking online it seems there are like two levels of quality. The BDW seems most like the original in construction. There are cheaper ones with a plastic looking rheostat platform. I will get the more expensive BDW but it's only around $25.00.
Old 06-23-2017, 08:17 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by jpk
And so educate me. Headlight harness mod?

The headlight harness is a plug-n-play set of relays and wiring that plug in between your headlights and existing harness, also connect to your battery directly (or better yet, to the battery's connection to the PDC). It provides the high current needed to light your headlights, so that current does not run through your headlight switch. Your existing harness serves only to provide the needed switching inputs to the relays. It's an excellent mod for these old vehicles. The headlight circuit was a bit marginal originally, and with 2 decades or so on it, it hasn't gotten better. This takes the load off.

Lots of threads on it here.

For $25 bucks and the labor of replacing that switch, I think you are wise to go ahead and replace it, but it sure doesn't sound like it's the problem.
Old 06-23-2017, 10:01 AM
jpk

Originally Posted by BlueRidgeMark
The headlight harness is a plug-n-play set of relays and wiring that plug in between your headlights and existing harness, also connect to your battery directly (or better yet, to the battery's connection to the PDC). It provides the high current needed to light your headlights, so that current does not run through your headlight switch. Your existing harness serves only to provide the needed switching inputs to the relays. It's an excellent mod for these old vehicles. The headlight circuit was a bit marginal originally, and with 2 decades or so on it, it hasn't gotten better. This takes the load off.

Lots of threads on it here.

For $25 bucks and the labor of replacing that switch, I think you are wise to go ahead and replace it, but it sure doesn't sound like it's the problem.
Once I get the switch installed and put the dash back together I will do the circuit test if the switch does not resolve the problem.
Old 06-24-2017, 01:44 AM
CF Veteran

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Year: 1989 xj sport 2dr
Engine: 12 hole bosch Injectors

Pretty basic install...

https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f51/pu...nstall-164659/
Old 06-24-2017, 07:30 PM
jpk

Originally Posted by freegdr
Could this be my problem? It is just under the left side of the driver's side carpet and backing. I've tried to look if it is supposed to go somewhere but I can't see any hint as to where it might go. It looks like it was sheared off, a clean cut.Blowing fuses-ground-wire.jpg

Up is to the left.

Now that I'm looking at it a little closer, it doesn't look like a factory installed ground. I know the Jeep at one time had a CB radio installed on the tranny hump but it was on the passenger side.

Now sure it is an after market item.

Last edited by jpk; 06-26-2017 at 07:51 PM.
Old 06-26-2017, 07:50 PM
jpk

So here is the situation now. Things that work; headlights, turn signals, brake lights, all gauges, all tell tele indicators, radio, blower motor.

Things that don't work; fog lamps, side marker lights front and rear, tail lights, gauge illumination, radio illumination, transmission gear selection illumination, transfer case lever illumination.

I am removing all seats and carpeting. I suspect the short is under the carpeting since I had removed it to wash it a few weeks ago. I may have over stressed one of the connections when I put the carpet in after the wash.
Old 06-27-2017, 09:29 AM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0L

Have you checked the factory fog light switch as well? Pretty sure those things were known to cause issues too.