Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Bloody Electric Windows!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2010, 12:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Bloody Electric Windows!!!

My electric windows seem to be not getting enough power, if I press up on the switch and push the windows up at that same time it goes up, this is the same for all windows.

The weird thing is, I was driving the other day and I tried the windows and all four worked beautifully, up and down, nice and quick.

Then the next time I drove they went back to normal.

And before anyone gets cranky about searching Ive been reading through pages and pages of threads for the past two days and no one seems to have the same problem as this, would be great if someone could save me pulling half the vehicle apart for a few seconds of their time.
Old 02-27-2010, 08:21 AM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1994
Engine: 4.0

I would try to use the pass. side door switch and see if it operates normally independently. I would also suspect that like mine, you have some broken wire issues in the harness in between the drivers door and pillar. I opened up my rubber tube and found a bunch of almost broken wires. try opening the door and using the power windows while moving around the door pillar harness. I would guess if it still sucks maybe snag a new group window switch for the driver door, it worked on my 98 general mess.
Old 02-27-2010, 11:02 PM

Well I went through all the wiring and found the breakage. It was directly behind the speaker in the drivers door, two wires had been joined into one from factory and they had corroded through.