Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Blinker Help Needed... Trust me I've run out of ideas

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2017, 04:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1989
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0
Default Blinker Help Needed... Trust me I've run out of ideas

A little about the jeep, 1995 two door. Purchased out here in Germany a few weeks ago. That's all really haha. I took apart the front grill this weekend, disconnected the battery just to be safe, so much for that. Everything before then worked perfectly. But upon reassembly the only thing that does not work are the front blinkers. I pull the lights, both arrows eliminate on the dash. I turn the left and right turn signal on and they blink fast, along with the side blinker and rears. Just not the front. The wipers still work, the brights turn on etc. The hazards work only on the side blinkers too. I checked the #10 spot on the fuse box and the fuse is good. Everything seems to work like before minus the front blinkers and the arrows light up when the lights are on. I didn't do anything fancy when re-connecting the battery, could that have messed something up? At a loss of what to try next so any help appreciated.
Old 06-05-2017, 05:01 AM

Also, snapped a picture, there isn't a flasher relay? The round one for the bottom left. Worked before but read that some Jeep's didn't use them.
Old 06-05-2017, 05:22 AM
CF Veteran

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Year: 1989 xj sport 2dr
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 12 hole bosch Injectors

Pull signal lamp confirm power at socket ? If rears/sides are working issues up front. Arrows lighting when lights are on is sign of bad bulbs.
Old 06-05-2017, 05:36 AM

Just checked, bulbs look fine. No rust or debris on connectors/housing :/

Last edited by Jkufrancesca; 06-05-2017 at 06:13 AM.
Old 06-05-2017, 08:07 PM
CF Veteran

Received 56 Likes on 41 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0l

hmm maybe your connector is bad? i know on older vehicles the elements get to the connectors and they break inside. and also yes i think there is supposed to be a flasher clicker there but i think its only for the sound as shown in this video:

but did you check the bulb with a different one? maybe you knocked the filament around and broke it when disconnecting and moving it around. my jeep did that to me all working fine then put it all back together and went for a spin and then the signals were blinking quickly like really dude.... but also i had broken connectors as my 4x4 shifter light socket was broken and wouldnt make it turn on.
Old 06-05-2017, 08:22 PM

Engine: 4.0L

Where do they ground? Maybe in the disassembly/reassembly, you didn't reconnect a ground wire?
Old 06-05-2017, 10:42 PM
No, I don't lick fish.

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by EEVEE
hmm maybe your connector is bad? i know on older vehicles the elements get to the connectors and they break inside. and also yes i think there is supposed to be a flasher clicker there but i think its only for the sound as shown in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bglcnRlnRj0

but did you check the bulb with a different one? maybe you knocked the filament around and broke it when disconnecting and moving it around. my jeep did that to me all working fine then put it all back together and went for a spin and then the signals were blinking quickly like really dude.... but also i had broken connectors as my 4x4 shifter light socket was broken and wouldnt make it turn on.
That's NOT just for the sound. Pull that flasher out and see if your turn signals or hazards work.... They won't. There's two, btw. One for the turn signal circuit and one for the hazard circuit.

I don't believe that's her problem though. As FreeGDR said, it's more than likely a problem with the sockets up front, the bulbs themselves, or the wiring going to them... either at the harness or the wires themselves.
Old 06-05-2017, 11:04 PM
CF Veteran

really? i thought they were just for sound only. and yes i suspect the connector may be the issue as it may have worked before but moving the bulb may broke a metal contact off inside.
Old 06-06-2017, 12:41 AM
No, I don't lick fish.

Nope. The sound is a bi-product of the electrical contacters opening and closing the circuit. You can (and should) get mechanical flashers that are louder and work better than the OEM thermal designs, but they all open and close the circuit.

The thermal design heats up once the circuit is closed and releases based on the heat... over time they fail and don't function properly.

The mechanical design works like a relay with a magnet. I'm not sure what exactly makes these open and close automatically, but they are much more durable, last longer, and can handle more lode than the thermal ones (ever plugged trailer lights in and notice the circuit blinks faintly or slowly - this is why).
Old 06-06-2017, 08:31 PM
CF Veteran

hmm didnt know that. i am not around the older style jeep cherokees sadly to know much. im just going by what i experienced with the sockets the bulbs plug into alot of those usually are corroded or rusted and break the metal contacts inside.
Old 06-07-2017, 04:56 AM
CF Veteran

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Year: 1989 xj sport 2dr
Engine: 12 hole bosch Injectors

Originally Posted by Jkufrancesca
Just checked, bulbs look fine. No rust or debris on connectors/housing :/
Get a tester and check sockets for power...
Old 06-07-2017, 09:17 PM
No, I don't lick fish.

Originally Posted by freegdr
Get a tester and check sockets for power...
^^This