Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Blend Door replacement

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2012, 02:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 318
Default Blend Door replacement

Hi, y'all. I'm fixin to buy a 95 ZJ Limited, with that dual climate control. Owner says heat and air work great, but blow out at feet. His ole lady had dryer vent hose runnin from floor, and duct taped to the dash to get the AC up top, where it'd do her some good. Now, I gotta say, I do love the redneck engineering that went into that, for sure. In fact, if it's too difficult or expensive to fix, I'll do that very thing, and aim it at the windshield.

After reading some posts here, and using the search, I've pretty much come to the conclusion that the problem lies in a blend door. Kevin showed me what the problem is. He pointed to a a white door directly under the middle of the dash, pretty far forward, and just above the transmission hump. My understanding is that this is a purely electrical system, and there are no vacuum hoses operating it.

I'm no stranger to turning wrenches - I'm an aircraft mechanic, but I absolutely hate working on interior stuff, especially tearing apart dashes, instrument panels, etc. (That's one of the reasons I work in an experimental flight dept - no interiors!)

So, here are my questions. Am I gonna hafta break the AC system open to fix this? And, to be truthful, I'd be happy if I can just attach a cable or wire to the door and manually operate it if it's very easy to do. I've got 5 kids to feed, so hemorrhaging money really isn't an option, but it's gonna be getting cold soon.....

Also, the HeaterTreater is a no-go. It doesn't support this year model, I think 99 is the oldest year it's for.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by MudFlap; 08-25-2012 at 02:45 AM.
Old 08-25-2012, 02:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 318

Sorry, I just realized I posted this in the wrong section. Can it be moved to the GC area?
Old 08-25-2012, 03:55 AM
CF Veteran

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Year: 1989 xj sport 2dr
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 12 hole bosch Injectors

pretty sure you have vacuum assisstane still blend door would regulat temp as i understand it sounds like you have a vent door issue this may give ya a idea...http://www.jeep4x4center.com/jeep-se....swf#toolbar=0