Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Bleeding Brakes -- W/O Bleeders --

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2008, 09:29 PM
CF Veteran

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Year: 87
Model: Wagoneer
Engine: 4.0 I6
Default Bleeding Brakes -- W/O Bleeders --

Anyone know how? Can't use the rear Bleeders they are siezed to the back of the drum. I know someone has the secret i think it is called a gravity bleed or something the that extent. Anyone with the lowdown or knows where a good right up is please let me know.

thanks

Old 05-24-2008, 10:04 PM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

to bleed the brakes you need to be able to turn the bleeder screws.

use a good tight socket to loosen it up. i have never encountered a bleeder screw that i havent been able to remove. if you think you might ruin the screw go get some replacements from the auto parts store before you do.

if it strips get a 12 point socket thats slightly smaller than the screw and lightly tap it on with a hammer. guaranteed to get it off.
Old 05-24-2008, 10:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee

ktm is right they will come out might be a pita but they will come and that is the by far the best approach but there is another less favorable temp solution, you take the caliper off as well the rotor turn the caliper upside down so that the brake line is at the bottom and put the rotor in the caliper and use the brake line as the bleeder this does not works always but i had to do once out on the side of the road to get to the shop.
Old 05-24-2008, 10:51 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 90
Engine: 4.0

Okay... I'm just gonna put it out there... Just put new wheel cylinders in... If they are that rusted chances are the seals aren't too much better.... If you twist the line off in the process, it probably needed replaced anyway.... Your Jeep lets you now when things need replaced correctly....

But heat from a plumber's torch and PB Blaster have never failed me....
Old 05-24-2008, 11:11 PM
Renix Super Guru

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Year: 1990XJ/1989MJ
Model: Comanche
Engine: 4.0L Renix

Use a line wrench as well. They are designed to encompass the line or bleeder on more sides and they also are designed to not round it off. If all else fails use a pipe wrench and then replace the bleeders. Any NAPA has them in stock. Take one of your old ones in to the store b/c I think there are two sizes of bleeder screws.
Old 05-24-2008, 11:23 PM

Originally Posted by BlueXJ
Use a line wrench as well. They are designed to encompass the line or bleeder on more sides and they also are designed to not round it off. If all else fails use a pipe wrench and then replace the bleeders. Any NAPA has them in stock. Take one of your old ones in to the store b/c I think there are two sizes of bleeder screws.
there are 2 sizes but they the part that threads is the same on both its just the nut part of the bleeder that is different i believe
Old 05-25-2008, 12:08 AM
Renix Super Guru

Originally Posted by trevor
there are 2 sizes but they the part that threads is the same on both its just the nut part of the bleeder that is different i believe
You may be right, but I am not sure. If the nut size is different the thread may be different as well. That is why I suggested that he take an old one with him to the NAPA store.
Blue
Old 05-25-2008, 12:23 AM

You may be right, but I am not sure. If the nut size is different the thread may be different as well. That is why I suggested that he take an old one with him to the NAPA store.
Blue
true, thats always a good idea cause you be assured that auto zone will give you the wrong part
Old 05-25-2008, 06:30 AM
CF Veteran

Damn well I am a pretty good mechanic This bleeder stripped out with a line wrench. 6-point socket...12 point socket and last and least vise grips. I had purchased speed bleeders to replace the old ones. Whowey I have thought about changing the whole drums out back there but a lil tight on cash to go that far. But I may end up going that route. I have had a problem similiar to this before and ended up having to replace the stuff. But hey it is a new day and has been soaking in blaster all night.

thanks guys
Old 05-25-2008, 07:20 AM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 2001

I ran into a similar problem with my TJ. On the rear, one side wouldn't unscrew because it was seized and it stripped out very easily. The other side wasn't seized to the cylinder but was seized to the brake line itself so when i turned it, it twisted the brake line and snapped. It does happen and they don't always come off right. I hate rust.

I ended up replacing the entire hard line on the rear axle.
Old 05-25-2008, 08:16 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by XJ Stryker
Damn well I am a pretty good mechanic This bleeder stripped out with a line wrench. 6-point socket...12 point socket and last and least vise grips. I had purchased speed bleeders to replace the old ones. Whowey I have thought about changing the whole drums out back there but a lil tight on cash to go that far. But I may end up going that route. I have had a problem similiar to this before and ended up having to replace the stuff. But hey it is a new day and has been soaking in blaster all night.

thanks guys

Not necessarily the entire brake set-up... But at least the entire wheel cylinders. They are around $14 a piece from O'Riellys. One more thing...I always pull the bleeders out of new ones and put never-sieze on them...
Old 05-25-2008, 09:18 AM
Renix Super Guru

Originally Posted by whowey
Not necessarily the entire brake set-up... But at least the entire wheel cylinders. They are around $14 a piece from O'Riellys. One more thing...I always pull the bleeders out of new ones and put never-sieze on them...
Well I hate to give up on a rebuildable part if I can rebuild it myself, but whowey may just be right. $28 doesn't cover the price of your time and labor but will probably give you some confidence in your brakes and that is worth the outlay of the money at this point.
Ask XJ Tess what she wants if this is her Jeep you are fixing.
Blue
Old 05-25-2008, 01:10 PM
CF Veteran

Well I hate to give up on a rebuildable part if I can rebuild it myself, but whowey may just be right. $28 doesn't cover the price of your time and labor but will probably give you some confidence in your brakes and that is worth the outlay of the money at this point.
Ask XJ Tess what she wants if this is her Jeep you are fixing.
Blue

I just looked them up for ****s and giggles... His 87 would be $8.49 for a new one....and $5.99 for a rebuild kit. I'm sorry.... Even my cheap butt can't justify saving $5 for both sides..... Once I take everything apart, clean them, hone them, in his case break the bleeders out, etc. I'm WAY over the price of $8.49 a side.

Last edited by whowey; 05-25-2008 at 01:13 PM.
Old 05-25-2008, 01:47 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by whowey
I just looked them up for ****s and giggles... His 87 would be $8.49 for a new one....and $5.99 for a rebuild kit. I'm sorry.... Even my cheap butt can't justify saving $5 for both sides..... Once I take everything apart, clean them, hone them, in his case break the bleeders out, etc. I'm WAY over the price of $8.49 a side.

That cheap hmmmmm well i may just have to do that then. Havnt been able to work on her heep today been out with the family to the Ohio river and what not. Came home to drop the dogs off as they were pooped. Heading back out to lil creek called sauder springs then maybe tonight if I aint too tired I will get to explore the brake fitting a lil more.
Old 05-25-2008, 04:45 PM
Renix Super Guru

Keep us up to date on the great brake rebuild.

Quick Reply: Bleeding Brakes -- W/O Bleeders --