Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Bizzare dome light switch kills engine.

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2018, 11:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Default Bizzare dome light switch kills engine.

Just as the title says. 98 classic 4.0 auto. On the way home started running real bad like running out of gas or bad ignition problem. Stalled on the side of the road for a few , finally got it going and nursed it the last couple blocks home. Thru a series of events I have come down with this...as long as one door is open and the dome light is activated by turning headlight switch the Jeep runs good. If I close all the doors it starts missing but will idle. If I turn headlight switch turning off dome light it will stall. In addition my tail lights burn dimmly even with the headlights are off but only while engine is running not with just key on.Tonight I changed battery terminals and check grounds under the hood. I'm pretty sure this is going to be a ground problem but can't figure out what ground it would be to cause this bizzare behavior. Some direction please. Thanks

Last edited by Mike574; 11-29-2018 at 11:16 PM. Reason: Addition
Old 11-30-2018, 01:51 PM

Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0L

Originally Posted by Mike574
Just as the title says. 98 classic 4.0 auto. On the way home started running real bad like running out of gas or bad ignition problem. Stalled on the side of the road for a few , finally got it going and nursed it the last couple blocks home. Thru a series of events I have come down with this...as long as one door is open and the dome light is activated by turning headlight switch the Jeep runs good. If I close all the doors it starts missing but will idle. If I turn headlight switch turning off dome light it will stall. In addition my tail lights burn dimmly even with the headlights are off but only while engine is running not with just key on.Tonight I changed battery terminals and check grounds under the hood. I'm pretty sure this is going to be a ground problem but can't figure out what ground it would be to cause this bizzare behavior. Some direction please. Thanks
Have you checked the alternator it might be shorting out. Causing a drain. Or alternator regulartor be pushing to much voltage
Old 11-30-2018, 02:03 PM

Originally Posted by smittysxj
Have you checked the alternator it might be shorting out. Causing a drain. Or alternator regulartor be pushing to much voltage
Scan tool says alternator and battery are good
Old 11-30-2018, 02:27 PM
CF Veteran

Received 234 Likes on 207 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: I6 4.0L

After checking all the ground locations, I'd check the wiring at the ignition switch and see if something's melted there. If that's ok, I'd look at the wiring for the headlight switch and see if something's chafed or melted there.

Since you're getting power to things that shouldn't have power, it seems like a melted connector might be the culprit.
Old 11-30-2018, 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by PatHenry
After checking all the ground locations, I'd check the wiring at the ignition switch and see if something's melted there. If that's ok, I'd look at the wiring for the headlight switch and see if something's chafed or melted there.

Since you're getting power to things that shouldn't have power, it seems like a melted connector might be the culprit.
Thanks I'll do that.
Old 12-04-2018, 01:09 PM

Default Fixed

I wanted to update this post in order to help anyone else that it may apply.I fixed my strange electrical/stalling issue. It turned out to be the ground wire in the back behind the spare tire mounting area. This ground is for the fuel pump left side lights and a few other things. I would suggest to anyone have stalling hard starting or miss issues to check this ground. Rusted out wheel wells allows water to begin rusting out the body inside. The jeeJ still would idle without this wire attached. I could literally rev the engine by touching this ground to metal. So even if you has a rough idle you can't pinpoint CHECK THIS GROUND WIRE. My Jeep runs better now then it ever has. Thanks to all who answered my post and tried to help.
Old 12-04-2018, 07:31 PM
Old fart with a wrench

Received 723 Likes on 628 Posts
Year: 2000 XJ Sport & WJ Laredo
Model: Grand Cherokee (WJ)
Engine: 4.0L

Yup! Rusted out left rear wheel well causes water to enter the body right where 4 harness connectors are. I've already smoked 2 of them. I took the other 2 apart and the contacts are green! I sprayed expanding foam sealant into the open cracks and will seal them with liquid rubber spray when the temp gets up or I get it into a warm garage. It's going to be a mess to clean out when I get around to doing the actual bodywork. Water is bad enough, but when you add salt to it, it's REALLY bad. Clue; you can get the spray foam in black.

Last edited by dave1123; 12-04-2018 at 07:35 PM.