Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Bizarre Electrical Problem???

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2009, 02:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Bizarre Electrical Problem???

So, I've been working on my '01 Cherokee for days now. Head gasket blew and I took care of that, yadda, yadda, yadda...

Put it back together and I'm having a problem that looks suspiciously like the MAP sensor (previously posted).

After swapping out MAP sensors with no effect, I attempted testing all vacuum hoses and electrical connections. Everything seems fine, and there's no leak at the gasket.

Then I plug my code reader in, just for S&G's.

The code reader won't even turn on. I tried it on my truck and it works fine on the truck, but as soon as I plug the code reader into the Jeep the screen goes dead. It won't even do a pocket reading with the car off.

3 Years ago the engine blew and I believe the computer got cooked a little. Did my computer finally die on me?
Old 03-14-2009, 03:27 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1992
Engine: 4.0L

Do you have another OBDII vehicle in the driveway? (friend/family etc)? Try the code-reader on it.
Old 03-14-2009, 03:35 PM

Originally Posted by XJ-Roz
Do you have another OBDII vehicle in the driveway? (friend/family etc)? Try the code-reader on it.
Already did. Works fine.
Old 03-14-2009, 03:42 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1992
Engine: 4.0L

Whoops! I just read where you answered the question before I even asked mine. . .
Old 03-14-2009, 05:37 PM

Year: 1993 & 2001
Engine: I6

Originally Posted by oddfish
So, I've been working on my '01 Cherokee for days now. Head gasket blew and I took care of that, yadda, yadda, yadda...

Put it back together and I'm having a problem that looks suspiciously like the MAP sensor (previously posted).

After swapping out MAP sensors with no effect, I attempted testing all vacuum hoses and electrical connections. Everything seems fine, and there's no leak at the gasket.

Then I plug my code reader in, just for S&G's.

The code reader won't even turn on. I tried it on my truck and it works fine on the truck, but as soon as I plug the code reader into the Jeep the screen goes dead. It won't even do a pocket reading with the car off.

3 Years ago the engine blew and I believe the computer got cooked a little. Did my computer finally die on me?
I don't know about "cooking" the computer a little...you would have noticed other prob's, chances are...first off did the reader work before the head gasket replacement ? when I get home tomorow I will check my factory wiring info and see if there is a fuse in line with the data port on my 2001 XJ...I've seen fuses blow and cause this prob on Lexus/Toyota, Ford & Chry vehicles before (all right around 2000-2005...