Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Big tire problem help please

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2011, 01:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Big tire problem help please

So I am driving down the road and the tire starts to wobble, not a little bit but enough for me to have to slow down enough for it to stop. I am not sure about the passenger side tire but I am sure it was doing the same thing. I checked all the lug nuts and none are loose. Dont know what can be causeing this but its not safe I know that. Need help to try to fix it please. If I can get a video I will post it. I know its hard to figure out whats going on just from somebody typing 3000 miles away.
Old 01-23-2011, 01:36 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1993
Engine: 4.0

wheels are probably out of balance. Just have them installed?
Old 01-23-2011, 01:50 AM

The tires have been installed for a long time. Maybe I threw a wheel wheight. It doesnt wobble all the time just everyonce in a while. It freaks me out. Its like the wheel is just gonna wobble right off the knuckle
Old 01-23-2011, 01:57 AM

Year: 1995

Originally Posted by DaveK-9
So I am driving down the road and the tire starts to wobble, not a little bit but enough for me to have to slow down enough for it to stop. I am not sure about the passenger side tire but I am sure it was doing the same thing. I checked all the lug nuts and none are loose. Dont know what can be causeing this but its not safe I know that. Need help to try to fix it please. If I can get a video I will post it. I know its hard to figure out whats going on just from somebody typing 3000 miles away.
thats just death wobble its a jeep thing lol, possibly bad alignment, trackbar or other front end parts crawl under there and check it out, mine was because of the track bar
Old 01-23-2011, 02:20 AM

Well I have no sway bar, so that probably doesnt help the situation. And my passenger side ball joint is loose and the grease fitting got ripped off lol got to love rock climbing. Will tightning that ball joint help, and I can proabably remove the driverside grease fitting and put it on the passenger side, just to grease it up. Please any help. But I def dont like the death wobble. first time it happened was about 3 days ago. Scared the S**t out of me.
Old 01-23-2011, 02:33 AM

Year: 2001

Well I have no sway bar, so that probably doesnt help the situation. And my passenger side ball joint is loose and the grease fitting got ripped off lol got to love rock climbing. Will tightning that ball joint help, and I can proabably remove the driverside grease fitting and put it on the passenger side, just to grease it up. Please any help. But I def dont like the death wobble. first time it happened was about 3 days ago. Scared the S**t out of me.
lol theres u problem. yea thts death wobble. check all ur others bushings up front too
Old 01-23-2011, 02:36 AM

I will take the pin out and tighten the crown nut, grease it up and see what happens. Yea the first time it happened my buddy was with me and he thought the wheel was going to fly off and race me down the road. I stopped and checked the lugs, cause I thought the tire was loose. I freaked out a little bit. The guy who owned the jeep before me didnt do much work to it. So know I am paying the price, the big price if you know what I mean.
Old 01-23-2011, 02:53 AM

Year: 2001

yea just dont let it get too bad or u regret it. if u cant figure it out its prob ur track bar. get a beefier one and see if ur steering stabilizer is shot
Old 01-23-2011, 03:36 AM
CF Veteran

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Year: 1989 xj sport 2dr
Engine: 12 hole bosch Injectors

I will take the pin out and tighten the crown nut, grease it up and see what happens. Yea the first time it happened my buddy was with me and he thought the wheel was going to fly off and race me down the road. I stopped and checked the lugs, cause I thought the tire was loose. I freaked out a little bit. The guy who owned the jeep before me didnt do much work to it. So know I am paying the price, the big price if you know what I mean.
replace all balljints be safe
Old 01-23-2011, 04:34 AM

Not trying to sound dump but, I have never replaced ball joints before. Can someone help. Maybe some instruction manuals or something.
Old 01-23-2011, 04:53 AM

Year: 1994
Engine: 4.0 I6

DW caused by 3 main factors. First, the track bar mounting bolts are not tight. Then due to a worn ball joint, and because of uneven wear on tire treads. DW usually arise from 40 mph when the Jeep crossed the sloping asphalt surface or a stepped hole.
Old 01-23-2011, 05:15 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Year: 1999

Tightening the castle nut on the ball joint will probably not do anything unless the ball joint stud is loose in the knuckle and that's not really likely unless whoever installed them screwed up. The play in the joint is between the stud that has the nut on it and the "cup" I'll call it that's in the axle side of the joint.

Changing ball joints is not a huge deal and I think you can buy all 4 of them for about $125 for decent quality parts. You can probably rent or borrow a ball joint press and do the job in your garage, driveway, etc.
Old 01-25-2011, 04:32 AM

Well after further investigation. The Tie rod end is shot, I will be replacing it soon. I probably just going to buy the rusty's steering kit. The track bar mounting bolts are good, checked them today. It just really sucks, cause I dont like replacing s**t that other people break. But thats what you get when you buy a used vehicle. Thanks for all the advice guys, it really helped me out.