Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Bi-polar Jeep

Old 03-15-2017, 10:45 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0L
Default Bi-polar Jeep

This thing reeks of Chrysler electrical.

Vehicle:
1999 Cherokee, 4.0L, AW4, 2wd.

What's been done:
Checked for OBD-II codes (none), verified oil pressure and that it charges. Cleaned grounds and replaced speaker wire body ground with a proper body ground. Cleaned all ground mating surfaces to bare metal. Removed gauge cluster and cleaned as well as verified a proper connection.

Backstory:
When I picked up this Jeep, the PO said it had died on him after the Check Gauges light came on. This happened after a computer replacement. It came on because the battery wasn't charging on the dash. I cleaned the grounds, cleaned the connectors, and verified good pin tension. The dash had completely stopped working until I removed the cluster and cleaned everything and re-installed. I made sure the cluster was nice and tight. I also benched tested the alternator several times and it came back good every single time. I then drove the Jeep 20 miles before the Check Gauges light came back on.

What it does:
Intermittent Check Gauges illumination for two reasons:

1. Oil pressure reads 0 at idle and appx. 20 when driving. I believe this one to be the sender because it's OE and covered in oil.

2. Gauges shows 13 - 14 volts at most times and then drops to 9 volts at times. Fluke mutlimeter shows 14.2 volts at the battery while Check Gauges light is illuminated.

Every time I go to voltage drop test, inspect components, or try the wiggle test it quits acting up.

Any common issues on these? I mean I'm about to do a third ground refresh, but they are clean and tight.