Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

best place to route hoses into cab?

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2008, 04:07 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default best place to route hoses into cab?

I need to route 2 heater hoses into the cab somehow. Where would be the best place to do it? I'm hoping somewhere near the passenger side. Anyone ever get a good look at the firewall?
Old 12-19-2008, 04:27 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0 H.O.

1st off why are you routing two heater hoses into the cab of your rig??
Old 12-19-2008, 04:30 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by LCFRJEEP
1st off why are you routing two heater hoses into the cab of your rig??
because i want to!

My heat pooped on me so instead of tearing apart the dash to get the core, i got a replacement in-cab heating system they use on *****'s and other older models that lack heat:

I have to disconnect the heater core and route those hoses into the cab, onto the back of this heater.

Been driving heatless the past couple weeks and realized that it makes it a bit difficult to see

Old 12-21-2008, 12:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you started a thread about your heater and it was determined this was the eaiser route then I'm sorry I missed it but I'm pretty sure you're causing more work then what's needed.

What went wrong with your heater? Where are you going to mount the heater you're installing, how are you going to hook it up to your current vents...

To answer your question about the best place - yes the passenger side firewall. There should be 2 large openings - 1 for the blower motor and 1 for the original AC/heater hoses. There should be plenty of room next to/or below the blower motor but the best option (IMHO) is to route them through the existing holes - but if you did it this way then why not just fix what's already broken? Or you coudl take the blower motor out and make a plate to cover the hole and run the hoses through it.

I've never replaced a heater core (if that's what's even wrong with yours?) in an XJ but I've done a few other ones in the past. Both Fords (an old Granada 4 door and an old wagon) and both times were able to take the dash out and cut the heater core housing open and replace the core and have the dash back together in about 1.5 hours - very similar to the WJ blend door fix if you're familiar with it.

If it's the actual blower motor you could probably get a used one from a JY pretty cheap but I don't know now much a new one is.

Post up what's wrong and let's see if we can't figure it out so you can fix it...

All that being said I would like to know how this heater works. I purchased my XJ completely gutted (no dash or anything) so I'm in need of an aftermarket heater and I'm looking for ideas.
Old 12-21-2008, 01:20 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by Chili Palmer
If you started a thread about your heater and it was determined this was the eaiser route then I'm sorry I missed it but I'm pretty sure you're causing more work then what's needed.

What went wrong with your heater? Where are you going to mount the heater you're installing, how are you going to hook it up to your current vents...

To answer your question about the best place - yes the passenger side firewall. There should be 2 large openings - 1 for the blower motor and 1 for the original AC/heater hoses. There should be plenty of room next to/or below the blower motor but the best option (IMHO) is to route them through the existing holes - but if you did it this way then why not just fix what's already broken? Or you coudl take the blower motor out and make a plate to cover the hole and run the hoses through it.

I've never replaced a heater core (if that's what's even wrong with yours?) in an XJ but I've done a few other ones in the past. Both Fords (an old Granada 4 door and an old wagon) and both times were able to take the dash out and cut the heater core housing open and replace the core and have the dash back together in about 1.5 hours - very similar to the WJ blend door fix if you're familiar with it.

If it's the actual blower motor you could probably get a used one from a JY pretty cheap but I don't know now much a new one is.

Post up what's wrong and let's see if we can't figure it out so you can fix it...

All that being said I would like to know how this heater works. I purchased my XJ completely gutted (no dash or anything) so I'm in need of an aftermarket heater and I'm looking for ideas.

Thanks for your reply. It was very helpful. I will check the passenger side firewall for these access holes and go from there. Thanks!

The problem is my heater core is leaking and when i use heat, it spreads the fumes throughout the cab and makes me very ill. Just driving 5 minutes to the store gives me a very bad headache, numb lips, nauseous, etc. At this time, i cannot afford the $800 or $500 price tag to have someone fix the heater core (xmas), nor do i have a garage to do the dash teardown now so i got this replacement heater from 4wd to hold me over till i have cash or time to fix the heater core.

I don't need to route any hoses into the factory vents. That small box with two vents on it goes on the dash. I will have it on a swivel mount so i can rotate it towards me or the windshield. Another 3" hose will be route under the dash to the foot area to heat my cold little toes and passenger's too. That's basically all i need to get through the winter.

This heater is supposed to be for *****'s and older models that don't have heating systems so i assume it's going to work quite well. The reviews i read on this were all positive and 4wd hardware said this is the popular kit for ***** owners. I will post up how it works after i get it in.