Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Best Multimeter and IR thermometer

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2017, 09:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 I6
Default Best Multimeter and IR thermometer

You guys are motivating me to learn to troubleshoot properly.

Any recommendations for best multimeter and IR THERMOMETER?
Old 07-02-2017, 10:20 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 2000 and 1998
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by Russ Blazer

i have pricey volt meters but the free one at harbor freight works fine. a $13 ir gun works great too. just get something and LEARN how to use it properly.you may move on or be ok. no great cost needed.

if you blow the cheep meter,,,get another till you learn by mistakes!!, we all do.

Last edited by nujeepguy; 07-02-2017 at 10:23 AM.
Old 07-02-2017, 11:25 AM
Caracticus Potts The Mod

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Model: Grand Cherokee

stupid advice, if you dont know how to use a meter, then watch videos on its use, and read the instructions....I have a Fluke88, have had it for years works great..worth every penny, but even a 30 dollar meter will do the job, read the instructions.
Old 07-02-2017, 07:43 PM
CF Veteran

Received 952 Likes on 767 Posts
Year: 1998 Classic (I'll get it running soon....) and 02 Grand
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

Originally Posted by Russ Blazer

In what price range? I have a friend who does space electronics. His multimeter cost my year's salary.

Most serious electronics shops while have meters costing hundreds of dollars.

I have a HF that cost 10 bucks that I keep in my car for a roadside emergency. It works.

Like the others have said, get one and learn to use it.
Old 07-02-2017, 10:07 PM
CF Veteran

Received 89 Likes on 78 Posts
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0L

This one is hard to beat for $30 because it has a built in AC/DC amp clamp. It also has banana style plug-in probe ports, should you ever want to get different probes. I own it, use it, and it has been generally a good meter for accuracy and small enough for carrying in-vehicle. It also comes with a small bag. Negatives are that it defaults to AC mode, so I have to hit the select button each time I turn it on to switch it to DC. It does have a audible tone for continuity (which means a little tone plays when there is continuity between two points in a circuit (great for testing fuses, and such).

Signstek UNI-T UT210E Handheld RMS AC/DC Mini Digital Clamp Meter Resistance Capacitance Tester
Signstek
Link: http://a.co/0zxAT8G

Its especially useful when you have a fuse buddy in the bag as well. A small fuse adapter with a wire loop for watching amperage through the circuit the fuse is on:

ESI 308B Fuse Buddy ATC Current Loop
by Electronic Specialties
Link: http://a.co/fQbB2Zf

Last edited by jordan96xj; 07-02-2017 at 10:12 PM.
Old 07-02-2017, 10:54 PM

Received 33 Likes on 23 Posts

Imho Fluke is the only way to go .
Old 07-03-2017, 12:07 AM
Banned

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: Golen 4.6L

I have a Fluke meter. I got it used at Unclaimed Baggage in Scottsboro, AL. I have one of the Harbor Freight meters from when they had a coupon to get one free. If it's gotta be right, I'm reaching for the Fluke.

I have a Harbor Freight IR thermometer. It's crap. You can point it at the exact same spot three times in a row and get readings that vary as much as 15° F. Am I running at 215° or 230°? Who the **** knows?

I'm in the market for a better one, so I'm in for suggestions. Harbor Freight is fine for some things and not so great for others.
Old 07-03-2017, 02:08 AM
CF Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Year: '98
Engine: 4.0 I6

For a multi-meter - most any cheap one will do. There are automotive specific ones that have more probes and are more robust but might as well start with a cheaper one. I have a Harbor Freight $23 one and it was just as good as my Fluke, never needed the more advanced functions and the only negative is that it uses a 9v battery (I hate those for some reason). The battery does last years though

The cheap IR thermometers really suck as far as accuracy. They will give you a ballpark of if it is hot or not though

I used a Fluke 62 IR thermometer and would definitely recommend it if you are actually looking for a real IR thermometer
Old 07-03-2017, 05:51 AM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0 Litre I6

Fluke is the absolute gold standard. I'm a controls and instrumentation guy. I have to stand behind my DMM and my 725 calibrator every single day. They never ever let me down. I trust them with my life.
Old 07-03-2017, 07:53 AM
::CF Moderator::

Received 1,524 Likes on 1,236 Posts
Year: 1990

Originally Posted by extrashaky
I have a Fluke meter. I got it used at Unclaimed Baggage in Scottsboro, AL. I have one of the Harbor Freight meters from when they had a coupon to get one free. If it's gotta be right, I'm reaching for the Fluke.

I have a Harbor Freight IR thermometer. It's crap. You can point it at the exact same spot three times in a row and get readings that vary as much as 15° F. Am I running at 215° or 230°? Who the **** knows?

I'm in the market for a better one, so I'm in for suggestions. Harbor Freight is fine for some things and not so great for others.
Hobo Freight meter is fine.

The IR is total junk.

And, here's a link on learning how to use the meter.

https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...g+a+multimeter
Old 07-03-2017, 02:21 PM

Fluke makes a great line of meters. Can be very expensive for someone who is learning tho. Easy to damage. Ideal makes a great line of MMs that have a lifetime warranty. Craftsman MMs can be found on sale for $30 or so - good deal. Sun equipment is high quality that is built for auto shop use (a used VAT 40 or VAT 28 are nice & easy to use). Don't forget to get a quality DC test light. Used properly, they are worth their weight in gold. My first IR gun was a Sperry, and it was pricey. Look around, you should be able to get a reasonably priced unit for under $50 that is accurate.

DO NOT DYI/OJT on AC line voltage - take a class - its too easy to make a fatal mistake.
Old 07-03-2017, 02:32 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by Charlie Foxtrot
Fluke makes a great line of meters. Easy to damage.
Elaborate.
Old 07-03-2017, 03:41 PM
CF Veteran

Received 952 Likes on 767 Posts
Year: 1998 Classic (I'll get it running soon....) and 02 Grand

Originally Posted by CurrySoSpicy
Fluke is the absolute gold standard. I'm a controls and instrumentation guy. I have to stand behind my DMM and my 725 calibrator every single day. They never ever let me down. I trust them with my life.
I'm an engineer. I know Fluke. I don't disagree with your assessment.

Nobody needs a gold standard multimeter for basic automotive troubleshooting, especially not a beginner.

Something in the $30 buck range from any auto parts store or Harbor Freight will do just fine.
Old 07-03-2017, 03:42 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by BlueRidgeMark
I'm an engineer. I know Fluke. I don't disagree with your assessment.

Nobody needs a gold standard multimeter for basic automotive troubleshooting, especially not a beginner.

Something in the $30 buck range from any auto parts store or Harbor Freight will do just fine.
Sure, but he asked what the best meter available was and he got the answer. It's fluke.

But I do acknowledging he probably didn't know exactly what he was asking for. He meant to say, "what's the best meter for a Joe home-owner guy who wants to tinker with his car".
Old 07-03-2017, 08:48 PM

Curry - elaborate:

Presently I use Fluke equipment at work as well as Megger. (Fluke loves us, I have one meter that's over $10k) But I'm working with some very tricky stuff that requires Cat III & Cat IV & 40 kcal suits. That stuff is not appropriate for automotive work. And while it is very good stuff it does not tolerate user mistakes-it lets the magic smoke out, and that can be a very expensive lesson. Fluke equipment isn't designed for bouncing off the floor. On the other hand, when I ran a large industrial maintenance unit, I used Ideal meters & Craftsman tools because they offered a "no questions asked" warranty. My team ran the gamut from experienced electricians to apprentice maintenance techs w/o much education. For automotive ( and light aircraft) systems a good Cat II multi-meter can be found for under $50 if you look around (try Sears clearance sales). I have picked up good serviceable used Sun, Allen, Marquette, and Snap On diagnostic equipment for not much more (I picked two Sun Scopes for $75, a VAT 28 for $25, and a VAT 40 for $50). I have a shop at home (a rural airport). I repair light aircraft and repair vehicles in my spare time so my needs are a bit more comprehensive than the average hobbyist. A multi function digital multi-meter with a DC amp clamp can be a big help, but a simple Volt-Ohm meter will get you started.

Last edited by Charlie Foxtrot; 07-03-2017 at 08:50 PM.