Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Benefits of a transmission cooler

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2016, 04:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1994
Model: Cherokee
Engine: I6
Default Benefits of a transmission cooler

Hey guys! I'm thinking of adding an inline transmission cooler (plate and fin style) this summer. My 94 xj with the aw4 just rolled 166k and summer time is fast approaching. The jeep still shifts nicely and really has no transmission issues (knock on wood). I know adding the cooler will help keep the tranny temp lower, but will I be able to FEEL any difference in the way it drives and shifts? I would really appreciate any input from those who are currently using a cooler. Thanks!
Old 05-01-2016, 04:30 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0 I6

Originally Posted by Doogluus88
Hey guys! I'm thinking of adding an inline transmission cooler (plate and fin style) this summer. My 94 xj with the aw4 just rolled 166k and summer time is fast approaching. The jeep still shifts nicely and really has no transmission issues (knock on wood). I know adding the cooler will help keep the tranny temp lower, but will I be able to FEEL any difference in the way it drives and shifts? I would really appreciate any input from those who are currently using a cooler. Thanks!
You aren't going to feel any difference is the way it performs. If you're going to add a cooler, add a temp gauge as well. Some people will put the temp sending unit before the cooler and some after. I have my sending unit on the transmission fluid output line.
Old 05-01-2016, 04:41 PM

Year: 1994
Engine: I6

Originally Posted by askingxforxit
You aren't going to feel any difference is the way it performs. If you're going to add a cooler, add a temp gauge as well. Some people will put the temp sending unit before the cooler and some after. I have my sending unit on the transmission fluid output line.
I plan adding a temp gauge too at some point. I've heard guys say adding the cooler lowered their temps like 20 degrees F. Is that pretty average, or does it vary?
Old 05-01-2016, 05:16 PM

Hey Guys brand new on forum i would like some input on an exra tranny cooler summer is coming and it gets hot right now also i'll be driving to cabo pulling a dune buggy... where should i purchase one one not from oreilly or autozone their stuff is crap. i just purchase my jeep looking to get a used heavy duty front bumper and rear with a trailer hitch my name is Andrew nice to be on board
Old 05-01-2016, 05:29 PM
CF Veteran

Received 149 Likes on 126 Posts
Year: 1995
Engine: Turbo 4.0

If you do install one put it inline after the stock "cooler".