Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

belt squeal at different times

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2014, 11:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default belt squeal at different times

Hey all

I just joined up recently when I purchased my 98 Cherokee Sport. Only 89k on the body and trans, engine was replaced after the PO ran it without oil for a while and might very well have more mileage than the rest of the car.

Anyway, I've had an issue with an annoying belt squeal. It generally occurs on startup and when I give it any amount of gas, when the engine is cold or relatively cool (basically before the belt has a chance to warm up) and in rain of course. The other night, I cold-started it while it was probably around 45 degrees out and the lights would also flicker at times while the belt was squealing, as if the belt temporarily wasn't turning the alternator or something.

It would also occur at weird times, such as when I hold the window switch down for a split second after it finishes going up/down all the way, when the steering wheel is at full lock either direction or when I use any accessories (windows, lights, A/C, etc) at the same time.

My first thought was just a loose belt, but the belt seems tensioned correctly. Based on what actions make the engine squeal, I've also thought that maybe the alternator is going bad, but I'm just not sure. Power steering fluid is also good.

I've also noticed that my heat doesn't get incredibly hot, just warm, and occasionally my headlights will remain on even after the car is off and I've pushed the switch all the way off. I'm not sure if these would be related at all, or just separate problems of their own.

Any thoughts? I tried doing a quick search but couldn't quite pinpoint my issue.

Thanks everyone!

Last edited by Dannymac1216; 10-29-2014 at 11:27 PM.
Old 10-30-2014, 12:40 AM
Banned

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: Golen 4.6L

<<<@!1!@>>>

Despite conventional wisdom, most people can't really tell whether the belt is appropriately tightened by twisting it or pushing on it. You need to get a belt tension gauge and make sure the actual tension is what it's supposed to be according to the service manual. I like the Krikit gauge, which NAPA sometimes carries locally. You can also order them from
Amazon Amazon

I can't recall what the tension is supposed to be while I'm out on the road away from my FSM, but someone here can probably look it up for you. You will probably find that your belt is a lot looser than you think.

If the belt is the right tension but it's still squeaking, you might have something leaking on it, or you might just have a crap belt that needs to be replaced. If you replace it, get a Goodyear Gatorback.

Edit to add: I have no idea what the hell "<<<@!1!@>>>" is or why the board put it in my message, but I think I'll leave it there for the sake of absurdity.
Old 10-30-2014, 12:42 AM
Banned

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Year: 1992
Engine: 4.0

I think tension on a belt should be 1/4 inch of play
Old 10-30-2014, 06:43 AM
CF Veteran

Received 300 Likes on 249 Posts
Year: 1997 (RHD)
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0 ltr

It would be helpful to locate where the squeal is coming from, so have a look while a helper does those things you mentioned that cause the noise to occur and try to locate. Belt, pulley, alternator, etc
Old 10-30-2014, 10:10 AM

Thanks for the replies guys.

I'm going to try and pinpoint the squeal tonight after work.
Old 10-30-2014, 01:23 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 2015, 2012
Model: Grand Cherokee (WK2)
Engine: 3.6L

The old belt has hardened up and is slipping.

As mentioned, replace with a Goodyear Gatorback.

Belt tension should be 1" total deflection on the longest span between pulleys. After installing a new belt, run it in with accessories operating for 10 minutes, then check tension.

You have a headlight delay built into your Jeep. If you turn off your headlights after turning the key to "off", your headlights only will stay on approximately 45 seconds, then turn off.

Lukewarm heat? Flush and service your cooling system, paying particular attention to free flow through the heater core. A MOPAR 195* thermostat is best for rapid warm up and best heat, other people's opinions notwithstanding.

Last edited by Firestorm500; 10-30-2014 at 01:26 PM.
Old 10-30-2014, 02:43 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2000

My 2000 does the same thing. New belt helped some but tightening it up real good did the most good. It still squeals in the rain. Why jeep put the alternator down so low where it gets wet easily, Ill never know. It helps if you still have that black rubber shield under your engine still all pinned up right. If its missing or not attached all the way, your belts will get soaked in the rain all the time.
Old 10-30-2014, 02:55 PM
CF Veteran

Strangely enough, all my other vehicles besides my XJs have automatic tensioners, and they never squeal.
Old 10-30-2014, 05:02 PM
CF Veteran

Received 300 Likes on 249 Posts
Year: 1997 (RHD)
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0 ltr

Originally Posted by Firestorm500
The old belt has hardened up and is slipping.

As mentioned, replace with a Goodyear Gatorback.

Belt tension should be 1" total deflection on the longest span between pulleys. After installing a new belt, run it in with accessories operating for 10 minutes, then check tension.

You have a headlight delay built into your Jeep. If you turn off your headlights after turning the key to "off", your headlights only will stay on approximately 45 seconds, then turn off.

Lukewarm heat? Flush and service your cooling system, paying particular attention to free flow through the heater core. A MOPAR 195* thermostat is best for rapid warm up and best heat, other people's opinions notwithstanding.
Not sure what issues you're addressing here Fire, but the remarks regarding the headlight and luke warm heat....is that anticipating the next issues the OP might have in the future !?
Old 10-30-2014, 05:05 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by Roler
Not sure what issues you're addressing here Fire, but the remarks regarding the headlight and luke warm heat....is that anticipating the next issues the OP might have in the future !?
No, he talked about that about 3/4 the way into his original posting.
Old 11-01-2014, 01:37 PM

Tightened up the belt, no more squeal

The heater core is getting flushed tomorrow.

Thanks for the help everyone!
Old 11-01-2014, 01:54 PM
Beach Bum

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
Year: 2000 WJ
Model: Grand Cherokee

Originally Posted by extrashaky
<<<@!1!@>>>

Edit to add: I have no idea what the hell "<<<@!1!@>>>" is or why the board put it in my message, but I think I'll leave it there for the sake of absurdity.
That gibberish was an attempt to quote a previous post. It has been happening to a number of us.