Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Belt fell off and can't find my application!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2008, 09:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1989 2 door
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Belt fell off and can't find my application!!!

I found my radiator was bad on my 1995 Cherokee with a 2.5 engine. I took the fan off to ease the removal. Don't ask my why I tried to start the engine, but the smooth watre pump pully came off as did my belt. There isn't a diagram in my engine bay and none of my 3 repair manuals show all of my pulleys. I have 7 pulleys and I think all is stock. I have the ribbed AC, ALT, Crank and PS pump. The water pump is smooth as are the two idler pulleys. Some diagrams show one idler to the drivers side (or right side as you look at the front of the motor). Mine are both to the left or passenger side, one to the right of the AC and the other to the right of the Alternator.
None of my routing makes it tight or anywhere close to being toight. Since it fell off it was tight to begin with. ****It just dawned on me, but could the lower left "idler" be a tentioner? I'm thinking that maybe when the belt fell off the tentioner swung into a different position.***** I attached a picture of my pulleys. Disreguard the belt because it's wrong. I still can't find a picture with two smooth pulleys to the left or passenger side of the 2.5 motor. Thanks for your help!

PS I did search for a few hours on the internet and didn't find anything!
Attached Images  
Old 10-04-2008, 09:11 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 90

It looks right to me.

The steering pump is the tensioner
Old 10-04-2008, 10:30 PM

It looks right a few different ways, but since there was tension on the belt with nothing loosened before the belt fell off I would think it should not on. I'm thinking the "idler" pully that is on the bottom, second from the left is actually a tensioner. Am I correct. This belt it too loose now!
Old 10-04-2008, 10:42 PM
CF Veteran

Okay...

Figured out the problem...

You have the belt on the wrong side of the Water Pump

Lets start from the A/C compressor and move to the right and down

Over the A/C compressor, under the idler next to it. Around the P/S pump, on the left side of the Water pump, around under the crank. Above the next idler and under the altenator. The PS pump bracket is the tensioner.

Last edited by whowey; 10-04-2008 at 10:45 PM.
Old 10-04-2008, 10:46 PM
Renix Super Guru

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Year: 1990XJ/1989MJ
Model: Comanche
Engine: 4.0L Renix

Mine has a sticker to indicate belt routing. Does yours have that Jimmy? If not and whowey is right about the routing I suggest you sketch it out and tape it in your glovebox for future reference.
Old 10-04-2008, 11:17 PM

Where is your sticker BlueXJ? I mentioned in my long paragraph that I couldn't find a diagram in my engine bay. There's a vaccuum like diagram on the firewall in front of the driver and an AC repair sticker on the fuse/relay box.
I can't remember if I tried it the way you mentioned Whowey, but I'll try it tomorrow. In all of my attempts I could not find any compination that made it a hair too tight to stretch on. Remember I said it fell off when under tension becayse I had the fan removed and didn't know the smooth water pump pully would fall off when the fan nuts were off.
Anyone have a diagram or picture of their 2.5 with pulley's like mine?

Oh...I thought with three manuals I won't need to draw the belt. Then it fell off!!!
Old 10-04-2008, 11:23 PM
Renix Super Guru

Mine is on the radiator support just to the passenger side of center. My 92s was by the battery on the radiator support and my 96 didn't have one at all. These were all 4.oLs not a 2.5L though.
Old 10-04-2008, 11:28 PM

I'll look again. I did not see a thing anywhere in that area. Are you sure neither of the smooth pulleys to the right of the AC and alternator are tensioners? The one to the right of the alternator looks like it could swing down and then push up on the belt that rides on top of it.
Old 10-05-2008, 08:00 AM
CF Veteran

Im working out of a Chilton manual.. I don't have a 2.5l.
But it shows the PS pump as the tensioner. And from the picture the PS pump appears to be on the tensioner style bracket. That bolt at the top center of the pump is the pivot bolt. You loosen that one slightly and a bolt on the lower left side of the pump(it would just to the right of the two bolts in the picture) will be on a slotted bracket that allow you to slide it back and forth when loosened.
Old 10-05-2008, 08:10 AM
Renix Super Guru

Whowey I have a FSM and it shows several different configurations depending upon if you have A/C or P/S or whatnot. There is even ones for the V6 with v-belts. You have to sort through them. Some have idler pulleys and some don't. None look like Jimmy's b/c none have that many pulleys(7) and I am not sure what that last pulley is even running or why there are two idlers. Crank, w/p, altenator, p/s, a/c and idler is all that are shown in the diagram.
Old 10-05-2008, 08:16 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by BlueXJ
Whowey I have a FSM and it shows several different configurations depending upon if you have A/C or P/S or whatnot. There is even ones for the V6 with v-belts. You have to sort through them. Some have idler pulleys and some don't. None look like Jimmy's b/c none have that many pulleys(7) and I am not sure what that last pulley is even running or why there are two idlers. Crank, w/p, altenator, p/s, a/c and idler is all that are shown in the diagram.

I have a complete set of FSM's for Renix models and there is not a single belt diagram anywhere. Wouldn't have dug out that Chilton's otherwise. But yes it has about 5 different belt combos. But that one is the only one that had that many pulleys in that configuration.
Old 10-05-2008, 08:24 AM
Renix Super Guru

FSM 1989 page 7-42 and 7-43. Look those over Bill.
Old 10-05-2008, 07:12 PM

Absolutely no routing of my belt worked! The Jeep should start without the belt though right? I know not to run for more than a few seconds because the water pump won't be working.
I did loosen the power steering and it only had an inch more to go to take up slack in the belt. The belt was tighe before the water pump pulley fell off so whichever routing works should end up tight! Hmmmmmm???????
Old 10-05-2008, 10:38 PM

Gates.com did have a diagram, but I had to download a HUGE eCatalogue to get it. They show three pulleys almost vertical to one another on the left. In that case I think the idler pulley to the right of the alternator should swing above the alternator with the belt touching the right side of that idler pulley. I tried to turn its bolt clockwise today and that just seemed to tighten it. It looks like it's bolted to a fixed position in the block. I need some aspirin!!!
Old 10-06-2008, 01:42 AM

Year: 92
Engine: worn out

Sorry for the bad pic, but try this.... And yes, to repeat what everyone else is saying, the P/S pump is the only tensioner.

Quick Reply: Belt fell off and can't find my application!!!