Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Belt

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2008, 05:45 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Belt

Ok, so i changed my serpentine belt last week. It currently squeals when i turn on the AC. It also feels like the engine bogs-down a little more than it used to when the ac is on. I think that the tension is to blame but I am not sure.

Thoughts?
Old 05-07-2008, 05:50 PM
CF Veteran

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Year: 87
Model: Wagoneer
Engine: 4.0 I6

Well what was the reasoning for changing the belts did it squeal prior or was it just getting dry rotted. Either way the compressor could be bad or the pulley may be warped. Get some spray lube, the kind with a straw, pb blaster, 555, hilco, or even WD-40 and spray the pulley you feel the noise is coming from "not the Belt". If it quit squealing right away it is probably the pulley bearings or the pulley is warped.

THe tension on the belt. there is an easy test. grab the belt with two fingers and twist if you can twist it more than 90" it is too loose if you can't twist it too 90" then it is too tight.
Old 05-07-2008, 05:52 PM

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Model: Cherokee

Originally Posted by ecksjay
Ok, so i changed my serpentine belt last week. It currently squeals when i turn on the AC. It also feels like the engine bogs-down a little more than it used to when the ac is on. I think that the tension is to blame but I am not sure.

Thoughts?
Try tightening it.

You might also consider getting a tensioner to get the proper tension in the belt. It is squealing now because belts will stretch out a bit after there initial few weeks of use.
Old 05-07-2008, 06:01 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by Kyle
Try tightening it.

You might also consider getting a tensioner to get the proper tension in the belt. It is squealing now because belts will stretch out a bit after there initial few weeks of use.

Definitely true. But i have found the 90" trick to work pretty well also
Old 05-07-2008, 08:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

Spraying the belt with oil or belt dressing is always a bad idea if you would like your new belt to live. In the shop we use brake cleaner as it will kill the squeel momentarily and then dry with no oil or residue. Water works the same way. The liquid provides a lubricant to eliminate the noise.
Old 05-07-2008, 08:16 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by jeeptech
Spraying the belt with oil or belt dressing is always a bad idea if you would like your new belt to live. In the shop we use brake cleaner as it will kill the squeel momentarily and then dry with no oil or residue. Water works the same way. The liquid provides a lubricant to eliminate the noise.
Never heard that but I do understand the reasoning on it. Brake Cleaner does evaporate quickly also. Thanks for the input