Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Bedlining floorpans?

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2009, 01:15 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Bedlining floorpans?

I know someone here has bedlined their floor and installed the carpet back over the lined pan, but I'm wondering if anyone here has done this and left the carpet out?

Both my front doors leak water in from somewhere and it just gets in the floor pan area in the front, so I don't mind the leak but I just want to protect the metal from rust/rot and get rid of the moldy carpet.

I already have the roll on liner kit and was planning on leaving the carpet out and putting/relocating a drain hole w/plug on each side.

My main concern though... are there any major wires that run under the carpet that could be easily tucked away under the plastic panels?

Thanks
Old 01-06-2009, 01:57 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0L High Output

I've not done this myself yet, though it's on the to-do list for sure. Through the research I've done I haven't found any reason that you wouldn't be able to go without the carpet. I do believe there is some wiring down there, but nothing you couldn't lengthen/move and tuck out of the way. I plan on going without the carpet in there after I do bedliner on the floorboards for sure. I also believe there are already drain holes present in the floor, but with rubber plugs in them. Either way if I'm wrong you could always just drill some new ones. I plan on using something like this for drain plugs when I do my XJ...

http://www.iboats.com/Seasense_Brass...-view_id.56063

Thats just the first site that popped up on google, I have found them at my local Wal-Mart, K-Mart, or any boaters supply store. They look like they would serve the purpose rather well. Good luck with your interior!
Old 01-06-2009, 01:59 PM
Seasoned Member

By the way, I've got family up there in Sylva, I bet there is some awesome wheeling to be had up there. It's beautiful country, I always love visiting.
Old 01-06-2009, 02:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 91

I bed lined mine with some walmart special bed liner worked good. just so you know there is a trick to it tho... lots of coats!!!! then it doesnt peel from your feet rubbing it all the time!! good luck
Old 01-06-2009, 02:07 PM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by funkle95xj
By the way, I've got family up there in Sylva, I bet there is some awesome wheeling to be had up there. It's beautiful country, I always love visiting.
Hey thanks for the info man!! I'm probably going to get do it this weekend. I'm most likely going to just cut the carpet straight from side to side right in front of the front seat mounting bolts.

I love Sylva and the whole WNC area man. There are some great little fun spots to wheel. Everything very serious is hard to get to as is. If you ever take your Jeep up there and wanna know some secret wheeling spots of ours I'll be more than happy to let you know where they are!!!

Sadly I'm back in PA til June.

Mudhunter241 - I got that Wal-Mart kit you speak of just a few hours ago. I'm going to give it a ton of coats so no worries there!
Old 01-06-2009, 02:28 PM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by 99XJDad
I love Sylva and the whole WNC area man. There are some great little fun spots to wheel. Everything very serious is hard to get to as is. If you ever take your Jeep up there and wanna know some secret wheeling spots of ours I'll be more than happy to let you know where they are!!!

Sadly I'm back in PA til June.
Well don't worry about me even leaving the state of FL till winter is over, haha, I'm a chronically coldaphobic floridian. I'll be sure to drop you a PM if I'm headed that way this summer though, I'd love to wheel that area!
Old 01-06-2009, 04:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998

Do yall have any pics of this done...I'd like to see it...
Old 01-06-2009, 07:34 PM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by Burns
Do yall have any pics of this done...I'd like to see it...
I'll take plenty of pics whenever I do it. I might do a writeup as well.
Old 01-06-2009, 08:11 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Year: 1996

After I replaced my floor pan in my 96, I used the roll on bedliner on it and left the carpet out. The only draw back is the floor gets VERY HOT which is fine in the winter time but in the summer, on days that it is 90* plus its almost unbarable. Plus the road noise at highway speeds makes it like CJ-7, this is a great option for a vehicle that gets a lot of trail use but if you drive it every day I would put the carpet back in.

For the amount of time and effort that I put in to all the prep and gutting the interior I would spend the money and get a good product to roll down like Herculiner.
Old 01-07-2009, 08:36 AM
Seasoned Member

I've got some of those heavy duty black rubber floormats in there now over the carpet. I wonder if those would help out with keeping some of that heat off of my feet in the hot weather... I kinda planned on throwing them back in there after the bedliner anyways, mostly so my girlfriend doesn't complain about the rough surface on her feet though...
Old 01-07-2009, 08:42 AM
::CF Administrator::

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Year: 1991
Engine: 4.0 I6

When I replace my carpet I am going to bedline my floor pan..
Old 01-07-2009, 09:00 AM
Seasoned Member

I'm not worried about noise really. I've ridden in various noisy vehicles and it doesn't really bother me much. Road noise is nothing compared to my old Saab 9-3 SE Turbo with open downpipe.

I have some nice heavy duty rubber floor mats as well that are going back over the lined floor. I have no patience to find the leak and just want a quick and easy solution. It only gets on the floor pan like I said so it doesn't bother me. The fact that it could rot out and the carpet will mold soon is what worries me. I'll let you guys know how it goes.
Old 01-07-2009, 10:24 AM
CF Veteran

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Year: 87
Model: Wagoneer

YOu want pics I got pics

I put my front carpet back in though. left the rear out.

Old 01-07-2009, 10:43 AM
Seasoned Member

Stryker, if I'm not mistaken you used Plasticote in your waggy. Was the one gallon can enough to do it all for you?
Old 01-07-2009, 11:14 AM
CF Veteran

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Year: 87
Model: Wagoneer

Yep plasticoat. One gallon was enough for 3 coats in the front and 2 in the back.

Quick Reply: Bedlining floorpans?