Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

bck wipper not working=/

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2011, 04:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 l
Default bck wipper not working=/

i cant figure out how to get this to work. i checked the fuses and replaced that. its still didnt work and im not sure what else to check.
Old 04-10-2011, 05:21 PM

Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0L I6

Originally Posted by guardinocherokee
i cant figure out how to get this to work. i checked the fuses and replaced that. its still didnt work and im not sure what else to check.
what year is it? if it is a 97+ you may have a broken switch, that was what was wrong with mine. does your switch go up and down smoothly?
Old 04-10-2011, 05:28 PM

Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0 l

i have a 2000 and it dosnt go smoothly, a little rough. is the switch breaking alot common.
Old 04-10-2011, 09:01 PM

Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0L I6

Originally Posted by guardinocherokee
i have a 2000 and it dosnt go smoothly, a little rough. is the switch breaking alot common.
that is your problem, and yes it is very common i have gone through 2 in about a year. what you want to do is take off the trim piece that goes over that whole stereo, thermostat, cigarette lighter area. once that is off take out the two screws (one on each side) that hold on the plate with your rear wiper switch on it. next disconnect all the connecting wires. on the backside where the the wires came from your car to your rear wiper switch you will notice that it is two pieces, on either the top or bottom there is a small circle with some metal running across it. On the opposite side there is a tab. lift the tab and remove the electrical component from the switch housing. it will probably be broken and there will be small springs and a small light and small white bars. this is now junk, believe me don't try and fix it i lost hours i will never get back. what you can do now is if you have a local pick apart place see if they have a 97+ Cherokee. if they do go and get that one using the same procedure. install it by just snapping it in where the old one was and reconnecting all the parts.

hope this helps