Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Battery, Alternator, or Starter?

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2012, 12:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Battery, Alternator, or Starter?

Alright so here's the deal. My XJ doesn't like turning over when it's cold. EX) I'll go to work, it'll sit for 8 hours, I'll go to start it and it barely turns over). The other night was the worst however, after work it only clicked several times then caught and somehow was enough for it to fire (it was cranking really slow). When its warmed up and not sitting for awhile it seems to start fine but the starter still doesn't sound up to par. It's in the mid-high 20's to low 30's here in northeast PA. I took it to Advanced Auto to get tested and the battery had 9xx cold cranking amps and the alternator was charging at 14.8 volts, and when it was shut off it held at 12.x volts. The guy there said it seems like the starter, the battery is 4 years old (Sears Die-Hard) and the alternator seems stock but I'm not 100%, and the starter is stock. It has 100,500 miles on it. I just changed the stock starter on my 96' XJ at 206,000 miles but it could just be that time for this one. While driving with all accessories on (defrost, wipers, heater, lights, etc) the volt guage is dead center. And with most of those off its slightly above 14 volts. What do you guys think?
Old 01-21-2012, 01:20 PM
CF Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Year: 1991
Engine: I-6 4.0 HO

Originally Posted by l 95 Trans Am l
Alright so here's the deal. My XJ doesn't like turning over when it's cold. EX) I'll go to work, it'll sit for 8 hours, I'll go to start it and it barely turns over). The other night was the worst however, after work it only clicked several times then caught and somehow was enough for it to fire (it was cranking really slow). When its warmed up and not sitting for awhile it seems to start fine but the starter still doesn't sound up to par. It's in the mid-high 20's to low 30's here in northeast PA. I took it to Advanced Auto to get tested and the battery had 9xx cold cranking amps and the alternator was charging at 14.8 volts, and when it was shut off it held at 12.x volts. The guy there said it seems like the starter, the battery is 4 years old (Sears Die-Hard) and the alternator seems stock but I'm not 100%, and the starter is stock. It has 100,500 miles on it. I just changed the stock starter on my 96' XJ at 206,000 miles but it could just be that time for this one. While driving with all accessories on (defrost, wipers, heater, lights, etc) the volt guage is dead center. And with most of those off its slightly above 14 volts. What do you guys think?
Starter. Without a doubt. My '91 did the same thing. Random clicks (even during warm weather) and absolutely HATED cold weather. Changed the start, and all was good. By the sound of your volt gauge, your battery and alt are spot on and doing their jobs.

I'd bet on the starter. Hell, if you want, take the old one off and go by A/Z and let them test it so you're not throwing money at anything.
Old 01-21-2012, 01:26 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1989 2 door
Engine: 4.0

The clicking sounds like your starter, but the slow cranking in cold conditions tells me the batt. is done or on its way out!

Last edited by builtnotbought89'; 01-21-2012 at 01:29 PM.
Old 01-21-2012, 04:29 PM

I'm going with the starter too but I just wanted some extra opinions before I go out and buy one.
Old 01-21-2012, 04:51 PM

Year: 98 2 Door SE
Engine: 4.0 High Output

Originally Posted by l 95 Trans Am l
I'm going with the starter too but I just wanted some extra opinions before I go out and buy one.
I think your right if battery checks out strong. Starter in mine seems a bit weak in cold weather also & I have a new 900 amp cca battery & new alternator to. I am going to wait a bit longer to see if mine starts when it goes into single digits before looking into a high torque starter if available for my 98 XJ. Good luck let us know if & what happens.
Old 01-21-2012, 04:59 PM
kjc
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1993
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L Laredo

I'm going to vote battery.. slow cranking when cold outside, four year old diehard, alternator doin' its' part.. ya.. battery
Old 01-21-2012, 05:01 PM

The battery could be fine also. If the starter is so worn out it will draw to many amps. When a battery is cold it doesnt have the power that it is when its warm.

It also could be a short where something is pulling the battery down when it sits.
Old 01-21-2012, 05:19 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1999
Model: Grand Cherokee

Have you tried cleaning the battery cables, both of them on each end?
Make sure to clean the grounding point too.
Old 01-21-2012, 09:55 PM
CF Veteran

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Year: 1988
Engine: AMC242

Look for my writeup on testing primary electrical in OEM tech, and follow it. That should tell you what's going on.
Old 01-21-2012, 11:15 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: Renix 4.0

Like everyone else has said, the battery is responsible for the slow starts. IMO, block heaters are useless. Battery heaters are what we need. They woould bring the battery's temp up warm enough so it's cranking amps are higher.
If we would've had a colder winter I would've had a kickass science fair project
Old 01-22-2012, 01:37 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 2000

Give the starter a couple good taps with a hammer and see if it helps. Mine does exactly what you describe. I wack it and it works fine for a bit then starts slower and slower till I have to love tap it some more. I need to replace it but it's cold out.
Old 01-22-2012, 03:36 AM

Year: 1988

Originally Posted by EastBeast
Give the starter a couple good taps with a hammer and see if it helps. Mine does exactly what you describe. I wack it and it works fine for a bit then starts slower and slower till I have to love tap it some more. I need to replace it but it's cold out.
Just wanted to say that is hilarious, and the same reason I have been postponing patching my exhaust. Last thing to do to make it legal. lol

Also, OP, it seems, with varying views, and mine as well, that it would be either the battery or the started. Why not just take them both out, and take them to advanced so they could test both. Worst comes to worst, you will find your problem, best side, you won't by the one you don't need... I need to do that too, but its cold out...
^
Old 01-22-2012, 08:20 AM
CF Veteran

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Something that hasn't been mentioned yet: check the ground cable on the battery to make sure it's tight. This is often overlooked and is a very simple solution. My guess would be the battery, but check the ground first. No reason to spend money you don't need to. If the ground is good pull both the battery and the starter had have them tested as others have said.