Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Bastard pack dummy question

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2009, 09:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Cherokee
Default Bastard pack dummy question

I have looked and can't find the answer to this question...maybe one of you guys will know the answer. I am going to the JY tomorrow to pull some Dakota leafs to build my bastard pack this weekend. What size bolts are on the Dakota leafs? Just need to know that I am taking the right tools. Also what size are the nuts on the U-bolts?

I will make sure to post pics once I get done with them, I know how much you guys love those dirty pics! haha Thanks in advance.
Old 05-29-2009, 09:52 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1987
Engine: 4.0

A big 1/2" breaker bar and metric and standard sockets. Look for one missing an axle so it will be easier for you.
Old 05-29-2009, 09:54 PM

That is what I am hoping for but just in case wanted to make sure I had everything. Any tips/suggestions on building the pack? I have read several threads on this forum that have been very helpful so far.
Old 05-29-2009, 10:45 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1989

Have you checked craigslist?
I saved myself a heck of a lot of work by getting a pair of S-10 leaf packs on craigslist for $25.
I placed a wanted ad, with what I was looking for, and willing to pay $25...voila!
A guy had a stock pair in his garage, left over from lowering his truck, and needed $25.
Driving 20 miles is a lot easier than pulling leaf packs in a J/Y...

I'm still working on assembling my bastard pack..last week I cut the eye ends off of the S-10 main leaves with a die grinder with a metal cut-off wheel. Big fun, LOTS of sparks!

WEAR EYE PROTECTION.

Also, S-10's and Dakotas use center pins (bolts) that are a larger size than the XJ, so you will need to drill out the center pin holes of the XJ leaves to the larger size.
You will also need to get new center pins and longer u-bolts, because they stretch/distort with use and are unsafe to re-use....besides, I've never found any of either that didn't strip out when disassembling them.
New spring clamps are in order, too. Check Rusty's website for these parts.

Check out orangeAMC's writeup/build thread, it's helpful.

Hope this helps!

Old 05-30-2009, 10:47 AM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1989

Here is a link to a very helpful BB page:

http://fitchva.com/jeep/?p=56

Old 05-30-2009, 10:50 AM

Year: 1991
Engine: 4.0 inline 6

heres another Jeep Cherokee Suspension - XJ Budget Lift - How-To Lift Your Jeep Cherokee XJ 4 on a Budget
Old 05-30-2009, 01:20 PM

okay guys, I just got back from the JY with some new toys! The first thin I saw when I walked into the yard was a first gen 4wd S10 with a suspension list on it. I started to pull the leafs out of it since they would have given a nice lift but they were about rusted through. The search continues!

I ended up running across some Dakotas that had decent springs on them but they all still had the rear axles on them.

The search continues...until I found a 1997 2wd 4 door S10 blazer with less than 100k miles! It had never had a ball or reciever on it so it had apparently never towed anything and the springs were in excellent shape. I almost felt bad pulling parts off of such a nice truck. Until I saw while it was in the yard...the fire that burnt the drivers door and front seat, looked like it started at the fuse block under the dash. Back to the springs!

I pulled them and got em home, fixing to go start cutting em up. I dont think I will have time to put them on this weekend. Looks like they will have to wait until next weekend.

Enjoy the pics!
Attached Images   

Last edited by firstxj; 05-30-2009 at 01:30 PM.