Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Basics on lifting?

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2010, 06:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Basics on lifting?

hello everyone I know this questions comes up weekly. I am not new to forums, I have searched around a little bit. I thought you guys would have a sticky or something on lifting but I guess not? or am I missing it? Please let me know and send me in the right direction. But if not your, help would be much appreciated.

Anyway, I had a 2001 Jeep Cherokee(136,000 miles) for a little less than a year before I was rear-ended and the jeep was totaled. I want to buy another Jeep Cherokee but this time I think I want to get more into the off roading hobby.

So what are the basics? I see threads about shackles, and spacers and what not. Don't you need longer springs and new shocks and stuff? I was looking at Sky Jacker(the only off roading company I know of) and their prices are out of my price range. I was hoping for a 500.00 lift if that is possible? This is the look I'm looking for... 3.5in lift with 32" tires. how do I acheive this? any cons to going this high?
http://images.craigslist.org/3m93od3...3a80fe17ec.jpg

I am not looking to go hard core off roading. Just to drive around in some dirt and have fun on some trails.

Also what are all the cons to lifting in general? I've been reading that 3" is the limit. After that you have to buy a bunch of stuff like new brakes lines etc? Can anyone elaborate on that? And I've also heard lifting is hard on your axles/rear end? anything I can do to prevent wear?

Also would it be cheaper to buy a jeep that is already lifted or to buy a stock jeep and buy all the parts myself. lifted jeeps around here are going for 5-6000.
Anything else you guys think I should know?

Thanks everyone.

Last edited by Joe1990; 09-10-2010 at 06:41 PM.
Old 09-10-2010, 08:03 PM

As a simple rule, the higher you lift, the more you should replace/upgrade. This can range from a slight spacer/shackle lift, to bigger packs/coil kits which will need various upgraded parts (pitman arms, slipyoke kit, shocks, bumpstops) all the way up to full on welded on kits and suspension overhauls. You really just need to figure out how hard you plan on wheeling and build it just a little tougher than you need it, cause without a doubt, you WILL try harder stuff everytime you get on the trails.
Old 09-10-2010, 08:12 PM
Seasoned Member

x2 x2