Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

ball joint replacement by owner

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2013, 09:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Default ball joint replacement by owner

I will probably be chastised for asking without doing a complete search of this site, however, both upper and lower ball joints need replacing, and time is of the essence.

How do I know replacement is necessary? I went to a reputable shop for an alignment and they were unable to as my driver's side ball joints, both upper and lower, were bad. I went to another shop for a second opinion, and the diagnosis was the same. I even was allowed, both times, to go into the alignment pit and watch as the wheel was moved. I want to get both sides, upper and lower done, but the labor for the job, in this economy is HIGH. Almost $700 and doesn't include price of parts which I'll supply. I even called the stealership for their price. Almost double.

My question is can an owner, with the right tools, do the job? I'm retired military so I'm able to use the base auto hobby shop nearby. I know the people that work there, and they will give me advice when I hit a rough spot. I'm not an expert mechanic, but I hate to pay money for something I might be able to do, and gain further experience. Since I have the time - told I would be charged for a 6 hour job. I want to save money, since healthcare will skyrocket the first of the year.

Rig is a stock 99 XJ, auto, 4x4. Anyone that has done this, please advise.
Old 11-19-2013, 10:03 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1989
Engine: 4.0

Yes they can be done "At Home" but you will need the tool. http://www.harborfreight.com/ball-jo...cles-4065.html That right there is the biggest piece to the puzzle.
Old 11-19-2013, 10:16 AM
kgm
CF Veteran

Year: 99

I picked up one of those tools. It helps with u joints sometimes as well.

http://www.higherground4x4.com/forum...ep-XJ-YJ-or-ZJ

This is a good walk through. You are just pressing them in and out. Worth saving $500!
Old 11-19-2013, 10:29 AM
Herp Derp Jerp

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Engine: 4.0L OBD-II

$700 just for labor?! Holy hell man!

Replacement is necessary when they start to seize and become very difficult to move, are loose (grab the wheel and shake, there should be no vertical movement or any change in camber), or grind when turned.

I did the ball joints on my front axle in my driveway. If they hadn't been rusted solid it would've taken me a lot less time! Installation was straight forward. I followed this writeup: http://www.stu-offroad.com/axle/ball...alljoint-1.htm
Old 11-19-2013, 10:46 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 2001

Go to AutoZonne, they take a deposit & full refund on the tool when you return it. Search YouTube and there are some good video's of how to replace them. $700 is totally criminal.

Good luck,
Old 11-19-2013, 02:15 PM

Year: 1996

I had this exact same thing happen to me. I took mine up for an alignment and he told me the same thing, that my ball joints were worn out and that it was going to be $1500 to replace them. Like stated above you can do it from home. It's what I'm going to do. Autozone tool rental is the way i'm going to go. With me doing it myself i'll only spend maybe $200.
Old 11-19-2013, 03:17 PM

Thanks to all who commented. Being a retired accountant my automotive skills were limited until I got this Jeep. While its lived up to the various acronyms it has been given, it has been a good daily driver. Sadly gas mileage wasn't a big concern, but I sure can go where the average driver can't! I've done the track bar, replaced sway bar bushings, shocks, and all the normal maintenance required, but I felt ball joint replacement was something beyond my limits until I got the estimate. It may take a day for a shop to do the job,. but I'll be darned if I give them my hard earned money for something that will take me a couple of days to complete. I say a couple as my skills are limited.

Again, thanks for all who commented and gave me the courage to tackle this job.

apw
Old 11-19-2013, 04:24 PM

Yup, very doable at home with a rented ball joint press. If they haven't been done,you might want to look into doing the axle u joints while your in there and have the tool.

$700 for just labor is crazy.I paid about $160 shipped for all four ball joints and the 2 axle u joints. Just check out the write ups, youtube video and take your time.
Old 11-19-2013, 04:58 PM
CF Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Year: '98
Engine: 4.0 I6

Definitely rent the tool! I got mine for Orileys for free (with a deposit up front). Had them changed out and back on the road in under 5 hours on my buddies XJ. There are a few good youtube videos that we watched before starting, but they are pretty much step-by step.

Most of the time is spent disassembling everything but its not really that technical. Buy a nice breaker bar/impact gun though (caliper bolts can be a ***** sometimes).

https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...ll+joints&sm=3
Old 11-19-2013, 05:24 PM
EdZ

Year: 2000

I replaced mine at home, twice... First off, get good replacement joints or about a year from now you'll get the chance to do em again... Do some research and get good joints... My 2000 Cherokee is once again as tight as it was when new... The first set (MOOG from Advance Auto) started feeling loose within about 2 months of road only use...
Old 11-19-2013, 05:28 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0 L

There's a video on youtube of a guy replacing cherokee balljoints from beginning to end and that really helped me when I did it.
Old 11-19-2013, 06:12 PM
kgm
CF Veteran

Year: 99

I'd rather have $700 of tools I can lend around or look at while drinking beers! Good luck. I am going to have to do my ball joints next spring.
Old 11-19-2013, 07:48 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1997, 1993

$700? Holy crap!

Rent the press from the auto parts store for free and do em yourself. Shouldn't take you more than a Saturday to get it done and you will be good to go!
Old 11-20-2013, 04:25 AM
CF Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Year: '98
Engine: 4.0 I6

I actually need to do this soon as well. I researched this a while back and decided to go with OEM Dana Spicer balljoints, because I dont want to have to do them any time soon;

http://www.seriousoffroadproducts.co...30-And-Dana-44

I hear moog is pretty decent quality though, but I just have never been impressed with their quality, fit, and finish.

Last edited by investinwaffles; 11-20-2013 at 04:28 AM.
Old 11-20-2013, 08:03 AM

Year: 2001

I've started getting all of my universal joints, ball joints, and driveline stuff from Drivetrain America, great prices and crazy fast shipping. They currently have the Spicer upper and lower ball joint kit for $43.42 per side: https://www.drivetrainamerica.com/p-...kee-xj-zj.aspx
(i don't work for or represent this company in any way, just a happy customer)

Quick Reply: ball joint replacement by owner