Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Bad intermittent transmission leak.....

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2010, 09:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Bad intermittent transmission leak.....

Hello all, I am new to this forum so bear with me! I own a 97 Jeep Cherokee with 4.0 engine and auto tranny. The other day it was really hot out, I was driving for a while at highway speeds and noticed smoke from back of truck. I made it home and saw tranny fluid all over the bottom of the transmission. I let truck idle in driveway and saw it dripping from between tranny bellhousing and engine. Next day i degreased underside of truck and cleaned every drop of oil. I started truck and could not duplicate leak. Fluid levels on oil dipstick and tranny stick were normal. Actually tranny fluid was on high side. Could this transmission have been overfilled? I lost alot of oil it should have shown up somewhere...I also have had cooling probs with this truck, could an overheating condition cause tranny oil to boil out? I installed a heavy duty trans cooler just to be on safe side. I bypassed the radiator altogether with the new trans cooler. I have driven highway speeds for over 15 miles and havent had a spot of oil leaking. Could the trans front seal be going?