Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Bad gauge??

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2013, 01:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Bad gauge??

I bought a 95 xj Wednesday and the guy told me it had a bad alternator. He was more or less a used car dealer and told me he just took this jeep in on trade but he had to put a new battery in it to get it to make the 30 mile trip to his lot. Well, today I finally got to work on it and both of the alternator fuses were blown. I bought 2 new ones and it seems to be charging now. However, the gauge never moves and stays all the way down. Even when just cycling the key. So I'm curious if its just a bad gauge or connection. The jeep appears to have had a remote start on it at one time and I don't really know if that could have some affect on it or not. And does anybody have an idea as to why both fuses could have been blown??

On a side note the engine is also making some noise which appears to be pretty common. I got under it pulled the inspection cover and it did have one loose bolt. However after tightening it, the engine still has the noise. It seems like its louder from the top then it is when I crawl under but I'm not positive.
Old 11-30-2013, 01:48 PM

Year: 1993
Engine: I6

whats your noise I know a lot of out 4.0s have the common lifter rattle.
Old 11-30-2013, 03:34 PM

Year: 97
Engine: 4.0

it may simply be the gas you're running or the oil, or a combination... good (cheap) way to find for sure where the noise is coming from is use a dowel rod (broom handle) put it up against the top of earlobe and listen...

maybe someone shorted out the fuses?? don't know just keep an eye on them, gauge could be a loose wire or something
Old 12-01-2013, 05:38 PM

Thanks for the replies! I found out the gauge is just bad so for right now I'm just going to have to check every now and then and make sure its still charging. As for the noise I am thinking it is the lifters. I took a broom handle and there is a major rattle when you put it against the valve cover and not anywhere else. On the bright side it is still running good and I finally got to test out the 4 wheel drive today and everything seems to work great