Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Back w/ the 88 4.0 that was having starting/cutting out issues when warm w/ an Update

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2014, 02:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Back w/ the 88 4.0 that was having starting/cutting out issues when warm w/ an Update

Hey guys, I posted a couple weeks ago about my 88 4.0 laredo that started to cut out on me while driving and would not start back up when it was warm/hot outside. I took all the advice in that thread (thanks to all who posted suggestions), redid allthe vacuum lines, cleaned all the ground connections, and had to replace the Crank Position Sensor (dropped one of the bolts into the bell housing when installing the new one, but I got that *****!). But unfortunately, I'm back because it still having the same issue. I started to do some research online and came across a website about tweaks and fixes for XJs. It had mentioned about the coolant temperature sensor and the manifold temperature sensor signals the fuel to air ratio when the engine is hot/cold. I have pulled all the plug wires off one at a time to make sure they're sparking, and I also replaced the coil, too. But I have noticed my coolant temperature gauge on the dash is not reading anymore. It does move the needle when I start up, but doesn't move after I have been running. And I don't believe it could be the CTS since I replaced it last summer. If you guys have any thoughts, that would be helpful, because I'm starting to loose hope on my laredo.