Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Back to the Old drawing board!

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2009, 10:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Back to the Old drawing board!

Well, yesterday my 87 Jeep Wagoneer, (I know this thread is for Cherokees, but the Wagoneer and Cherokee are about the same.) ran fine, after taking out the steering column, replacing key switch, and turn signal bulbs, everything was working. Now I have no turn signals, windshield wipers or brake lights. Just quit working. Checked fuses, they seem O.K. nothing burn't that I can see. I may take the steering wheel apart again and see if something isn't right. Any suggestions, other than I may take it to a shop, or dump it in the strip pit. Thanks!
Old 10-08-2009, 10:19 AM

Just thought I would mention, I was kind of jiggling my key back and forth moving it forward just before it starts and the turn signals and windshield wipers were trying to come on. I am thinking it might be in the key switch or something not quite right in the column. Other than my brain not working correctly the last few days. Well, any suggestions, other than I'll take it apart again just like a kid with a toy does after Christmas and the kid gets bored with his toys. Mama might not like it!
Old 10-08-2009, 10:26 AM
CF Veteran

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Year: 89
Engine: 4.0

I would look at the ing switch itself to make sure all is plugged in,and if not that you may have pinched wires in the colum. It is also possible the switch is out of adjusment.
Old 10-08-2009, 11:36 AM

Connections are O.K. At the terminals under dash. I'll check for a pinch, but I don't think that is it. I took the column off again and I noticed I have to turn the key switch just past the accessories and just before start to get the turn signals wipers and brake lights to work. I put a new key switch in it. That little bar on the left of the key switch ( the bar with the gear teeth on it) and to the right of the turn signal arm has to go down slightly with the turn of the key, for the turn signals and wipers to work. I'm still in the process of taking it off. I may take it to a shop if I can't get it figured out.
Old 10-08-2009, 01:24 PM

I am thinking the key switch inside the column might be bad. Not the key thing itself, but the mechanism inside the column. Is there anything I need to look for or replace when replacing this switch. Thanks!
Old 10-08-2009, 03:00 PM

I thought I might ad that, before I took the steering wheel column apart to check everything I noticed copper shavings inside the hole where the key and lock switch go. I thought it was the key and lock, but it was probably something else. This problem has been waiting for a complete failure for a while. So, it isn't surprising to me, just a little challenging and time consuming.