Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Back-end Vibration

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2012, 11:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Back-end Vibration

I have a '92 Cherokee, I-6 (4.0L), Automatic, 4x4. A few weeks ago i hit the gas (75mph) to pass someone and when i eased off (60mph) i noticed a vibration/rumble from my back end. Since then, there has been a vibration/rumble in my back end, and it gets louder and u can start to feel it when u gun the engine or go up a hill (basically anytime there is torque). So far i have ruled out the tires, as they are pretty new with no visible problems, and the fact i rotated them but still the problem is localized to the back end.

Any Ideas on what I should check first? Im no mechanic, with only body experience and im new to posting on a forum. Its my wifes daily driver, and we live in the desert, so PLEASE HELP!
Old 01-02-2012, 03:28 PM
Renix Super Guru

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Year: 1990XJ/1989MJ
Model: Comanche
Engine: 4.0L Renix

Check rear swaybar bushings and also check if you have the proper fluid level in the differentials.

BTW I moved this to the OEM section so that you might get some answers.

The questions and suggestions section is for questions and suggestions about the site not your Jeep.
Old 01-02-2012, 03:34 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

Check the u joints, and when you say gun the engine are you moving or not, makes a difference.
Old 01-02-2012, 04:04 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1999
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

x2 on the u-joint
Old 01-02-2012, 04:57 PM

Originally Posted by leecarr
Check the u joints, and when you say gun the engine are you moving or not, makes a difference.
Yeah i ment hitting the gas hard while driving
Old 01-02-2012, 05:05 PM

Originally Posted by BlueXJ
Check rear swaybar bushings and also check if you have the proper fluid level in the differentials.

BTW I moved this to the OEM section so that you might get some answers.

The questions and suggestions section is for questions and suggestions about the site not your Jeep.
Thank you, ive never made my own thread before.

Another thing is that, ever since i got the jeep a few tears ago, when i make a sharp turn say from a stop sign, the front tires chirp and the jeep tries to creep forward. I always figured this ment i had a locked rear diff. Today i noticed it wasnt doing it anymore. I have heard of weekend warriors (like myself. Lol) welding the rear diff as a cheep locker. Do u think my gunning the engine to pass someone may have broke the weld if that was the case?. If so, how hard would it be to fix? Could i just re-weld it?
Old 01-02-2012, 06:01 PM
MJ>XJ

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1990
Engine: 4.0 I6

Welcome to the site! You have a lot of reading to do! Lol... Front tires wont chirp to a rear axle being welded... If your axle was welded u would know... Lol... Front tires chirpin could justbe thd angle of the tires on the pavement... The type of pavement... How fast your going ir alignment/joint issues...
Old 01-02-2012, 06:06 PM

Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0 HO

I had a vib once in a old truck and come to find out it was a wheel balance issue when I slung a weight.
Old 01-02-2012, 06:51 PM

Originally Posted by CJ_tiz
I had a vib once in a old truck and come to find out it was a wheel balance issue when I slung a weight.
Yeah, i thought of that, but its not the speed that makes it vibrate. It is the more torque. Like if i hit the gas hard, or going up a steep hill
Old 01-02-2012, 06:53 PM

Originally Posted by huntingman2706217
Welcome to the site! You have a lot of reading to do! Lol... Front tires wont chirp to a rear axle being welded... If your axle was welded u would know... Lol... Front tires chirpin could justbe thd angle of the tires on the pavement... The type of pavement... How fast your going ir alignment/joint issues...
I didnt know that. Thanx. As i said, im not a mechanic. I only learn from experience. Ijust apreciate any help you can give me
Old 01-02-2012, 07:33 PM
MJ>XJ

like stated id bet money on one of two things... rear u joints (which is what it sounds like to me) or low fluid in the rear end... although if you have a limited slip rear end and there is no additive left for it then it can make these noises as well...
Old 01-02-2012, 07:59 PM

Year: 1992
Engine: 4.0L

sounds like the problem that i have also
Old 01-02-2012, 08:56 PM

like stated id bet money on one of two things... rear u joints (which is what it sounds like to me) or low fluid in the rear end... although if you have a limited slip rear end and there is no additive left for it then it can make these noises as well...
I realy hope its just a bad u joint to replace. how can I tell if it is the u joints?
Old 01-02-2012, 09:09 PM
MJ>XJ

Go under it... Grab the drive shaft watch the joint and u should see the caps move on the joint itself... Do NOT twist the driveshaft... There will always be play this way... Up and down... Lsft and right... If it moves then replacs all the joints on the shaft... Like $12 each... And theres two on the rear... Make sure your not mistaking the play for play from the yoke on the axle... that could mean other problems...
Old 01-03-2012, 12:54 PM

Go under it... Grab the drive shaft watch the joint and u should see the caps move on the joint itself... Do NOT twist the driveshaft... There will always be play this way... Up and down... Lsft and right... If it moves then replacs all the joints on the shaft... Like $12 each... And theres two on the rear... Make sure your not mistaking the play for play from the yoke on the axle... that could mean other problems...
Ok, i will try this when i get home. Last night i noticed that when stoped and puting it into drive or reverse, as soon as the (automatic) tranny kicks into gear, i hear a loud clank (can even feel it) from around the transfer case area. Could i have a broken transfer case or tranny mount? Or would that still be caused by the u joints? Again i will be checking the u joints when i get home

Quick Reply: Back-end Vibration