Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

BA to AX?

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2011, 10:28 AM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1987
Engine: Check
Default BA to AX?

I've been told that the Renix manual trans isn't the most desirable.

If I manage to nuke mine, does the next gen trans swap right in?
Old 05-11-2011, 10:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1985 shell
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 1996 6 cylinder Briggs & Stratton

Not direct, but doable. captainofiron just went thru this check the thread

https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f2/ax-...g-bolts-78093/

Quote:
Originally Posted by radio flyer
Good! Just thought i would check--- I had a 1986 with a [shove a stick in my butt and break it off] 2.8 and an ax5. the ax5 **** the bed and i bought a replacement off craigslist. Turns out it was an ax15, and i thought SCORE------------
WRONG!!!!!!!!!!!
What a pain in the **** to change everything necessary to install it!

Yea its just nuts dealing with these Chryslers, it seems like everything is different between the years, man.

So what did you end up doing with the AX15? man, there was this guy here trying to pass off an AX5 as a 15, I thought I had gotten lucky with this one, until today and we started trying to bolt it up, seems like all sorts of problems started popping up, should have been an omen

first these bellhousing bolts wouldnt come out, then exhaust wouldnt come out, then the brackets for the TC wouldnt bolt up to the new trans so I had to grind off a mounting ear, then the since the new one had the external I had to change out the front bearing cover, then we had it all ready to pop in, and it wouldnt slip in, so we pulled it out and different pilot bearings

Quote:
Originally Posted by caged
i believe the cj uses a pilot bushing, where as your jeep uses a pilot bearing.
don't think it would really matter, but i would prefer the bearing rather than a brass bushing. just my opinion.

but i didn't know about the internal vs. external pilot bearing size difference.

i'm sure your local jobber can order the proper bearing in tho.

i have about 3 spare pilot bearings in the garage for my tj's, i can measure them out tomorrow. they are for external slave ax15 tho. but if one will work for you, i'll send you one.