Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

axle wrap with 1.5 block....

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2010, 06:35 PM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 2.5 4 cyl.
Default axle wrap with 1.5 block....

really want a 3 inch lift, but dont feel like spending 800 big ones for it, when i cant get one for 150 and keep the ride quality. what i really want to know is, if i get the rocky road lift with 1.5 blocks will my rear end hop when i goose it? i heard its not problem until you get to like a 3 inch block but this is just heresay. i know about axle wrap and what it does to my leafs but this is a DD and doesnt get wheeled. i just dont want to hit the gas too hard and bounce instead of movingj

oh yeah, dont wanna hear dont go block because its not a definite choice yet, ive done my research and know the pros/cons. But of course if you have a better lift that nets 3 inch and costs around 200 bucks while keeping the ride, throw it my way.
Old 07-01-2010, 07:07 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1991
Engine: 4.o

Hi there, I have run 2" blocks with my aal for a year and a half now with no problems.....
Old 07-01-2010, 07:11 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by captainwoot
Hi there, I have run 2" blocks with my aal for a year and a half now with no problems.....
thanks, thats what i wanted to hear. does the rear end ever hop or anything like that if you stomp the gas?
Old 07-01-2010, 07:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you could go with home brew lift from a jy. mine cost $30. s-10 bastard pack an gc coils with spacers got me 3".
Old 07-01-2010, 07:23 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by Throttle Jockey
you could go with home brew lift from a jy. mine cost $30. s-10 bastard pack an gc coils with spacers got me 3".
i was considering that, but i dont want to tamper with my quality of ride
Old 07-01-2010, 07:43 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0L I6 w/ K&N and bored TB

Blocks are stupid when you put them on soft springs like what an XJ usually has. Buy an AAL or a shackle.

You might be able to even get a decent deal by talking to a spring shop near you and they might be able to hook you up with a cheaper AAL than what you can find online.

As for ride quality you probably wont notice a difference either way. A lift shackle can even make it ride better.
Old 07-01-2010, 07:50 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by Iant333
Blocks are stupid when you put them on soft springs like what an XJ usually has. Buy an AAL or a shackle.

You might be able to even get a decent deal by talking to a spring shop near you and they might be able to hook you up with a cheaper AAL than what you can find online.

As for ride quality you probably wont notice a difference either way. A lift shackle can even make it ride better.
yes but oh so great on a tight budget, and from what ive seen most all AAL's sag
Old 07-01-2010, 07:57 PM

Originally Posted by xj_maniac_newb
yes but oh so great on a tight budget, and from what ive seen most all AAL's sag

A full length one shouldnt, the saggy ones are usually the crappy foot long ones you buy online. Like I said, talk to a spring shop, alot of places even make their own stuff and its pretty cheap, my rear springs were custom made for 200 dollars. An AAL should be super cheap.

With a 4 cyl you would be ok with a block I guess but they still wrap alot with any sort of softer springs.

Last edited by Iant333; 07-01-2010 at 08:00 PM.
Old 07-01-2010, 08:04 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1997, 1999
Engine: 4.0

Sorry to be such a newb but what is a ALL? I just bought a xj with a pretty decent lift and 33's. The lift was done with spacers and blocks. I'm in the same boat as the OP. I daily drive my truck and do some light trail riding... but i live in south florida so the trail riding is just lame sandy trails.

I am worried as well about doing damage. To my truck but unlike the OP i don't know the cons to running blocks.
Old 07-01-2010, 08:05 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1990
Engine: 4.0l

I hate to say this, but I have 3" blocks in the rear and I didn't buy them. I don't have any problems at all with wheel hop, its my DD and I'm not soft on the skinny pedal either. I do still have my rear sway in place, my thought was that, because the springs are worn out it would help keep the rear a little stiffer till I get my 4.5 long arm set up.
Old 07-01-2010, 08:08 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by DualSportDad
Sorry to be such a newb but what is a ALL? I just bought a xj with a pretty decent lift and 33's. The lift was done with spacers and blocks. I'm in the same boat as the OP. I daily drive my truck and do some light trail riding... but i live in south florida so the trail riding is just lame sandy trails.

I am worried as well about doing damage. To my truck but unlike the OP i don't know the cons to running blocks.
an AAL is abbreviated for add-a-leaf, how much lift does it have?
Old 07-01-2010, 08:10 PM
CF Veteran

on a side note, will my ride turn to S#%$ if i dont get new shocks? i mean if it will ride the same ill just keep the ones i got, if not i guess ill just have to set that as the next priority
Old 07-01-2010, 08:10 PM

Originally Posted by DualSportDad

AAL= Add a Leaf, its just an extra spring that was thrown into your rear leaf pack to make it sit higher, the disadvantage is the poorly made ones ride rougher and can sag over time.

Blocks can crack your springs and cause wheel hop, especially so if you like hammering on the gas. Its not super common but its common enough so that I'd spend the extra money and buy something better.

Blocks arent too bad if you run really stiff springs because you dont get as much axle wrap (the springs bend into an s-shape under a heavier load due to a mixture of the engine torque and resistance from the road). Some pickup trucks even have 1-2 inch blocks from the factory.

The choice is all up to you, a cracked leaf spring isnt the end of the world, but its so easily preventable.

Also another tip for anyone who does plan to run blocks, BUY STEEL ONES. The aluminum ones WILL crack and fall out.

Last edited by Iant333; 07-01-2010 at 08:12 PM.
Old 07-01-2010, 08:11 PM

Originally Posted by xj_maniac_newb
on a side note, will my ride turn to S#%$ if i dont get new shocks? i mean if it will ride the same ill just keep the ones i got, if not i found some OME shocks for 200 biggens

OME shocks ride super nice. But your stock ones wont ride any different with a lift as long as its not more than like 2.5-3 inches, you will just lose some flex due to your stock shocks being short.
Old 07-01-2010, 08:13 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0

A S-10 bastard pack will ride better than ANY AAL or block combo, and not be worn out in 1 year. So if you were to go to the JY and pay say $30 for a set of S-10 springs then buy a NEW set of 3" lift spring for about $100 add a set of JK take off shock. You have a GOOD 3" lift for about $200, may even ride better than stock.

Quick Reply: axle wrap with 1.5 block....