Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Axle Part Question From a Newbie... but Loyal-

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2019, 11:48 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Default Axle Part Question From a Newbie... but Loyal-

Year ago I owned a 1984 Jeep Cherokee and I loved it. Now it seems I am returning to the fold.

So I bought my son a 1993 Jeep Cherokee. Bone stock... The front wheel bearing on the passenger side was grinding so I fixed that. Apologies for not knowing all the correct names on the 4WD parts... I can fix all of this but I don't remember all the correct names of things. So please bear with the descriptions. While changing the bearing, I noticed a small round white plastic piece that seems to seal the space between the front axle and the axle tube. It is white and of course, broken. From what I can tell, it comes in two halves. It goes around the axle and then slides back into the axle tube to probably keep dust out of the tube.

Would anyone have a part number or know what this part is called?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Dave
Old 10-21-2019, 11:51 AM
CF Veteran

Received 456 Likes on 369 Posts
Year: 1997
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: 4.0

It's an unnecessary part, either leave it off or get some real tube seals like these. https://www.quadratec.com/products/52420_900X_PG.htm
Old 10-21-2019, 12:52 PM
CF Veteran

Received 234 Likes on 207 Posts
Year: 1995
Engine: I6 4.0L

Originally Posted by dsnyderdsnyder
Year ago I owned a 1984 Jeep Cherokee and I loved it. Now it seems I am returning to the fold.

So I bought my son a 1993 Jeep Cherokee. Bone stock... The front wheel bearing on the passenger side was grinding so I fixed that. Apologies for not knowing all the correct names on the 4WD parts... I can fix all of this but I don't remember all the correct names of things. So please bear with the descriptions. While changing the bearing, I noticed a small round white plastic piece that seems to seal the space between the front axle and the axle tube. It is white and of course, broken. From what I can tell, it comes in two halves. It goes around the axle and then slides back into the axle tube to probably keep dust out of the tube.

Would anyone have a part number or know what this part is called?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Dave
It's called the axle oil slinger.

You can find replacements on Quadratec - https://www.quadratec.com/products/916527_22.htm for about $2-4/e, or do what me and my Dad did which was drive around to 3 different dealerships trying to find one. If you go that route, make damn sure if they say they have it that it's actually the right part. Ask. me. how. I. know.

They aren't necessary, but I prefer not to get a bunch of crud up in my axle shafts and I can't justify spending over $50 on seals that are "serious off-road" level.

They're a pain to put on when the tire, brakes, etc. are all back on, but it is possible.
Old 10-21-2019, 01:30 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

Originally Posted by PatHenry
It's called the axle oil slinger.

You can find replacements on Quadratec - https://www.quadratec.com/products/916527_22.htm for about $2-4/e, or do what me and my Dad did which was drive around to 3 different dealerships trying to find one. If you go that route, make damn sure if they say they have it that it's actually the right part. Ask. me. how. I. know.

They aren't necessary, but I prefer not to get a bunch of crud up in my axle shafts and I can't justify spending over $50 on seals that are "serious off-road" level.

They're a pain to put on when the tire, brakes, etc. are all back on, but it is possible.
Thank you very much for the help!
The following users liked this post:
PatHenry (10-21-2019)
Old 10-21-2019, 03:44 PM
CF Veteran

Received 234 Likes on 207 Posts
Year: 1995
Engine: I6 4.0L

Originally Posted by dsnyderdsnyder
Thank you very much for the help!
Anytime!