Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

axle fluid funny color.....

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2012, 07:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee
Engine: Straight 6
Default axle fluid funny color.....

Okay everyone im new at this since ive only had my lisence for a yr and i just replaced almost the whole front end of my xj.... I replaced the upper and lower ball joints, wheel hub assemblies and the universals.... When i did the universals my haynes manual said i had to drain the front axle and remove a clip so my axle shaft would come out on the passanger side.... And my xj is a 2000 and didnt have one it slid right out.... But my problem is after i put the diff cover back on i put new fluid in and i checked it the other day after i heard weird noises in 4wd and it smelled like burning oil and it seemed to me that i didnt put enough in and the fluid is grey? Possibly just water in the fluid or did i burn something up?

Replys would be greatly apreciated
Old 01-22-2012, 08:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1989
Model: Wagoneer
Engine: 4.0L I6

i think you may have been reading the axle removal for the rear diff which is c-clip, but from the sounds of things if its milky looking you have water getting in......have you been playing in the water? if it is a water issue, is your diff breather attached, top back side of the diff will have a tube coming off of it and up to the engine bay, just change out the fluid and try getting out most of the crap fluid and check it in a week, you may need to change it again to flush out the last of the milkshake.