Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

ax-15 issue

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2011, 10:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Cherokee
Engine: il 6
Default ax-15 issue

so went to do a fluid change on my manual transmission pulled the fill plug than pulled the drain plug after pulling the drain plug nothing came out so my question is what else should i check since obviously i have been driving with out fluid in there for god knows how long
Old 10-05-2011, 11:28 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1991
Engine: 4.0 L

Well sir, if it were me..(and that is shaky at best)....here is what I would do....

obviously have a pan below your work area, start putting fluid in (axi5 is regular oil methinks? cant remember off top of my head),

anyway keep putting fluid in, with both plugs off, and see what comes out (kinda like a flush procedure sorta)....then when you feel confident no crap or gunk is coming out along with the fluid you are adding, put the drain plug back in, add until you can put your finger in the filler opening and it comes out wet. then you are full and good to go.

but, thats only me.

good luck sir!

cpnwrench

Old 10-05-2011, 11:31 AM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 99
Engine: 4.0

If you haven't noticed that tranny is actin up, then that's a good start. Be real sure to look close for metal shavings in whatever comes out. cpnwrench said it best..
Old 10-05-2011, 11:35 AM

Engine: 4.0L HO

I would do what cpnwrench said, then run it with the new fluid for 500 miles or so, then drain and refill again. That will give the new fluid some time to clean out more crud.

Good luck.
Old 10-05-2011, 12:01 PM
CF Veteran

Engine: 4.0 I-6 H.O.

if I were you, I would just fill it with some GL3 75W-90 and run it, nothing you can do now will save it if it is bad.
Old 10-05-2011, 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by cpnwrench

Well sir, if it were me..(and that is shaky at best)....here is what I would do....

obviously have a pan below your work area, start putting fluid in (axi5 is regular oil methinks? cant remember off top of my head),

anyway keep putting fluid in, with both plugs off, and see what comes out (kinda like a flush procedure sorta)....then when you feel confident no crap or gunk is coming out along with the fluid you are adding, put the drain plug back in, add until you can put your finger in the filler opening and it comes out wet. then you are full and good to go.

but, thats only me.

good luck sir!

cpnwrench

ok sounds good to me gonna go do that i didnt know if there were seals i should check or not
Old 10-05-2011, 12:37 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by wcupp
so went to do a fluid change on my manual transmission pulled the fill plug than pulled the drain plug after pulling the drain plug nothing came out so my question is what else should i check since obviously i have been driving with out fluid in there for god knows how long
I would ignore what everyone has said so far.... You're going to have to pull the transfer case. The main shaft output seal is shot and you've now put everything into the transfer case or on the ground. I had the same issue with mine when I bought it, the previous owner though he was smart and stuffed a wire nut in the weep hole to stop the leaking. That hole is there to alarm you when the seal is damaged by letting your transmission oil leak out. It's amazing that they'll run without fluid like that. My transfer case was filled to the brim b/c of that stupid wire nut.

I highly recommend Amsoil 75w-90 GL4; that's what I use. It's a Japanese transmission and they love the stuff (Also run the stuff in my wife's Miata, my 500hp 240sx, and my Unimog when I had it). I've rebuilt my AX-15 before, so I know what I'm talking about.

Here are a couple pictures to show you what's up. This is the location of that hole (notice the yellow wire nut ). Notice the relief to allow the fluid to drain out there.

The damaged seal can be seen here, the yoke from the transfer case seals against it.

Last edited by s14unimog; 10-05-2011 at 12:42 PM.
Old 10-05-2011, 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by s14unimog
I would ignore what everyone has said so far.... You're going to have to pull the transfer case. The main shaft output seal is shot and you've now put everything into the transfer case or on the ground. I had the same issue with mine when I bought it, the previous owner though he was smart and stuffed a wire nut in the weep hole to stop the leaking. That hole is there to alarm you when the seal is damaged by letting your transmission oil leak out. It's amazing that they'll run without fluid like that. My transfer case was filled to the brim b/c of that stupid wire nut.

I highly recommend Amsoil 75w-90 GL4; that's what I use. It's a Japanese transmission and they love the stuff (Also run the stuff in my wife's Miata, my 500hp 240sx, and my Unimog when I had it). I've rebuilt my AX-15 before, so I know what I'm talking about.

Here are a couple pictures to show you what's up. This is the location of that hole (notice the yellow wire nut ). Notice the relief to allow the fluid to drain out there.

The damaged seal can be seen here, the yoke from the transfer case seals against it.

this sounds way to expensive for me right now
Old 10-05-2011, 12:45 PM
CF Veteran

^It's not really, that seal is cheap. The pain is dropping the transfer case. The job is pretty easy, especially when I compare it to rebuilding the AX-15. Your call.
Old 10-05-2011, 12:53 PM

well i fill it up and see i really hope not tho funds are tight and the wife will kill me if when doing routine maintenance i find another thing wrong "all ways seems to happen that way"

Last edited by wcupp; 10-05-2011 at 12:56 PM.
Old 10-05-2011, 01:01 PM
CF Veteran

I know the feeling... If only they could appreciate working on their own vehicles. GL with it, make sure to use a GL-4
Old 10-05-2011, 01:25 PM
CF Veteran

Engine: 4.0 I-6 H.O.

If you do have to do a rebuild, its not too bad.

http://www.greatlakesxj.com/tech/AX15.pdf
Old 10-05-2011, 01:35 PM

Engine: 4.0 L

wcupp,.....I was going on the presumption that what s14unimog had posted has not happened.

if you do flush like i originally said (basiclly cuz of the money thing),

and you notice leaking afterwords (driving a couple days or so) then ya the fluid is either gone to the transfer case through main shaft output seal(probably already full in that case) like he said and you gotta pull it.

see what happens. good luck!

my 2 cents.

cpnwrench