Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

AW4 shift issue

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2017, 09:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee(SJ)
Angry AW4 shift issue

New to the forum. Having shift issue. 1999 Cherokee 4.0 with 157,000 miles. Transmission shifts normally, sometimes. At other times it revs high before shifting. If I let up on the gas pedal slightly it will shift. First to second gear is at or about 1800 rpm when shifting normally. When slow to shift the engine will rev to 2800 rpm before shifting. I had a solenoid code so I have replaced all three solenoids. Replaced filter and changed the fluid twice to try to get as much of the old fluid out as possible. No difference. First drive it was slow to shift. Next morning, drove about two miles, shifted normally. Shut engine off for 10 minutes. Drive home, slow shifting returned. Does this inadvertently whether cold or warmed up. No check engine light so no code to go by. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Old 11-04-2017, 08:37 AM
::CF Moderator::

Received 1,526 Likes on 1,238 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0

do this if you haven't already:

Old 11-04-2017, 01:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee(SJ)

Thanks but have already done that. Didn't help. Is there a way to adjust the other end of that cable?
UPDATE: I adjusted the cable several times until the transmission finally shifted properly. Made two stops with no problem. When driving the vehicle about 30 minutes later the problem returned. Is there any way to lock down the cable adjustment once you find the correct adjustment?

Last edited by mrussell; 11-05-2017 at 08:30 PM.