Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Aw4 input seal

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2015, 08:20 AM
CF Veteran

Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts
Year: 01, 99, 98, 98,98
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Aw4 input seal

So just putting this out there. May not even do the repair but just wanted some opinions. Have a 99 that has been my project for the past 4 years. Bought it knowing that PO had changed input seal a few times and it leaks again shortly after. Had a new seal in it when I bought it and didn't leak until I moved it around the yard a few times. At some point a bolt fell out. Most likely torque converter or flexate bolt. Also has the loose flexate knock now. I never got to pulling the trans because I found a few other issues after I got it all cleaned up. Now it's become a parts donor for the other two I picked up recently. But I still might fix it and keep. Haven't decided. Anyway my questions. Should I just replace the seal again. The PO seemed like a bit of an idiot and it's highly possible he messed something up each time he put the seal in. Obviously if bolts are falling out. Or should I just pick up a used trans. I would like to stop covering my driveway and everywhere else every time I need to move this thing. So even if I'm going to sell it I still would like to fix. Oh and could the loose foe plate or converter cause the seal damage
Old 06-06-2015, 09:20 AM
CF Veteran

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Year: 1989 xj sport 2dr
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 12 hole bosch Injectors

Might not be seal but rear bushing or bearing causing issue.