Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

AW4 HELP Is It Blown??????????

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2011, 03:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 Liter High Output
Question AW4 HELP Is It Blown??????????

So i have recently had issues with my aw4 trans in that i stop at a stop sign and it slips out of gear then grinds back into it after going sometimes it would do this while cruising well this morning it was extremely cold so i let it sit in idle so i could take it to work after an hour of trying i finally got it to move after work i go to leave and no reverse so i pull forward every gear except park is acting with forward motion even neutral so after a while i get to the dirt road by the house and while cruising at about 45 ram it into reverse and drift about a hundred feet hear a clank and the engine cuts off turn it over and every gear works like normal with slight hesitation while shifting what is the problem is it shot or what? any opinions are appreciated thanks yall and on a side note it has leaked merc III out the tail shaft since i bought the thing 5 months ago
Old 03-16-2011, 04:01 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 99
Engine: 4.0

ok. first clear one thing up: you took a tranny and threw it into reverse at 45 miles an hour? now. if that is the case, then you are on your own here cause that is the most STUPID thing i have ever heard of. i dont know of any one person that has ever though of doing that to solve a problem. chances are if you had a problem you have now made it so bad, there may be no repairing, but replacing, which if you havent noticed costs a **** load more. so please, sorry for that rant if thats not the case. but if so, then wow!!!
Old 03-16-2011, 04:03 PM

Originally Posted by VTJeep
ok. first clear one thing up: you took a tranny and threw it into reverse at 45 miles an hour? now. if that is the case, then you are on your own here cause that is the most STUPID thing i have ever heard of. i dont know of any one person that has ever though of doing that to solve a problem. chances are if you had a problem you have now made it so bad, there may be no repairing, but replacing, which if you havent noticed costs a **** load more. so please, sorry for that rant if thats not the case. but if so, then wow!!!
I thought long and hard before i did it and i have another trans but i dont exactly know if i can replace it my self and why is it driving even better than before??
Old 03-16-2011, 04:03 PM
CF Veteran

i mean jeezus, it could just be you need some fluid, or had a bad u joint or something easy... but now.... im gonna guess uh-oh
Old 03-16-2011, 04:04 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by goldenlandscaping
I thought long and hard before i did it and i have another trans but i dont exactly know if i can replace it my self and why is it driving even better than before??
ITS DRIVING BETTER CAUSE YOU DONT KNOW WHAT YOUR DOING... never mind. i give up. im done with this one.
Old 03-16-2011, 04:07 PM

ITS DRIVING BETTER CAUSE YOU DONT KNOW WHAT YOUR DOING... never mind. i give up. im done with this one.
i have several times replaced entire engines in xjs by myself so never once did i ask you for your stupid misjudgment of my skill i wanted an opinion on my issue if you cannot do that shut up and pass this thread along
Old 03-16-2011, 04:12 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by goldenlandscaping
i have several times replaced entire engines in xjs by myself so never once did i ask you for your stupid misjudgment of my skill i wanted an opinion on my issue if you cannot do that shut up and pass this thread along
ha ha ha. i love you!
Old 03-16-2011, 04:20 PM

ha ha ha. i love you!
My only point is all i ever do on here is pass on my knowledge and advice to try and help others i never would have bashed your thread like that and maybe at the time i was really pissed when i did it and thats why i did it but it kinda solved my problem so i can get to work its my dd and the other xj aint even here yet i have to wait til next weekend just saying is all for get about the whole issue of today what about the slipping and every week i top all of my fluids off "including trans"
Old 03-16-2011, 07:35 PM

Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0L

{waders}

So, you are suggesting that rather than replace the failing shift solenoids on the valve body that a simple alternative is to hammer the thing into reverse at 45 MPH?

{\waders}
Old 03-16-2011, 07:49 PM
CF Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Year: 1991
Engine: I-6 4.0 HO

Wow.... Reverse at 45 mph? I mean you say it's driving better, but after that I'd be expecting the damn thing to randomly blow up at any time now. I'm sorry, but shifting in R at 45 mpg was not a very intelligent thing to do.

But hey, if your tranny holds up and does NOT fail anytime in the future, please PM me and you can take as many bashes and jabs as you want towards, and I will also ship you a beer lol.

Edit: Just joking about the beer...
Old 03-16-2011, 08:17 PM

Year: 2000

I think your lucky it still moves at all after that. I don't know much about the AW4 (yet) but good god, that says something about that tranny if it didn't explode on the spot. It's got to be shot now though.
Old 03-16-2011, 08:43 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Old 03-16-2011, 08:48 PM
CF Veteran

Year: '89
Engine: 242

My question is...

If by some crazy azz astronomical chance, that you happened to land....
What if the same results dont happen for everyone else?

I mean, thats like saying, just cause you ran across 6 lanes of busy highway AND MADE IT without a scratch, means we are too.

Im not puttin you down or anything, Im just saying, thats how you make it sound.
Old 03-16-2011, 08:48 PM

Originally Posted by 2Evil4U
{waders}

So, you are suggesting that rather than replace the failing shift solenoids on the valve body that a simple alternative is to hammer the thing into reverse at 45 MPH?

{\waders}
Originally Posted by 1991Jeep_Man
Wow.... Reverse at 45 mph? I mean you say it's driving better, but after that I'd be expecting the damn thing to randomly blow up at any time now. I'm sorry, but shifting in R at 45 mpg was not a very intelligent thing to do.

But hey, if your tranny holds up and does NOT fail anytime in the future, please PM me and you can take as many bashes and jabs as you want towards, and I will also ship you a beer lol.

Edit: Just joking about the beer...
Originally Posted by ww2farmer
I think your lucky it still moves at all after that. I don't know much about the AW4 (yet) but good god, that says something about that tranny if it didn't explode on the spot. It's got to be shot now though.
Well guess it was a bad idea telling yall what happened to me today guess i might as well give up on any advice. Also starting to believe its a good thing i got another xj coming to me i will definitely post up tomorrow how my 30 mile round trip to work goes as long as yall dont bash me for anything else while your at it check out my build thread and poke fun at it too
Old 03-16-2011, 08:51 PM

In all seriousness, did you check the fluid? And really, it sounds like the transfer case more than a trans issue.

Quick Reply: AW4 HELP Is It Blown??????????