Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Automative 94 Sport, intermittent bogging/stalling

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2009, 09:13 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 94
Model: Cherokee
Default Automative 94 Sport, intermittent bogging/stalling

Hi all-

My Automatic 94 Sport 4x4 just started developing a problem about a week ago. It will run fine cold, and seems to run fine hot.

However, after it warms up completely, the first time I come off throttle (like at highway speed), it stutters and bogs bad for a few seconds, then runs fine again.

This wasn't a big deal until last night when I drove it to Walmart, running it from cold to completely warm when I got there and shut it off. After I came out, it took several cranks to start up, then started and idled good. I put it in gear and pulled forward, and it died. No rough idle or anything, just died. All accessories were working, lights were bright and everything.

Threw it in park and it started right back up no problem, and drove home fine. I'm a little worried about it because I drive it 72 miles a day through St. Louis traffic, and I don't want it dying whilst crossing the Mississippi.

Since I've had it, I've replaced the radiator and battery, and removed and cleaned the throttle body really good. I also seafoamed it.

The truck has 195K on it. I don't know the previous history, but I do know that it's been at least somewhat neglected. At this point, I'm suspecting primary O2 sensor, CPS, PCM, or fuel pump. I know I've got a few minor electrical gremlins with the accessories, but I don't *think* I have major ground missing or anything like that. Can anyone suggest anything else or help me narrow it down?
Old 12-23-2009, 03:09 PM
Seasoned Member

awww no input at all?
Old 12-23-2009, 04:50 PM

IAC is most likely your problem, My 94 has experienced the same symptoms in the past and that was the problems.
Old 12-24-2009, 10:12 PM
Seasoned Member

IAC huh? I kinda thought that IAC would cause it to idle bad or run rough, which it's not. Is that not the case on Cherokees? Where is the IAC located on a Cherokee? Other cars I've worked on, it's been on the intake manifold somewhere.

It died on the road for me today, while I was going about 55 mph. Not much warning... it just lost power for a few seconds, charge gauge bobbled a little bit under 14, then rpms and all gauges dropped to zero. While coasting, I put it in N and tried to restart, but it wouldn't.

I pulled over to a parking lot, put it in park, and it started right back up, no problem. Did a few donuts in a gravel lot, then drove it a few miles home with no problems at all.

From googling, I'm kinda starting to think it's CPS, but I didn't think those usually caused intermittent issues. I'm also kinda starting to wonder more about it being an electrical thing... The battery's new, but I have noticed the charge gauge bobbling under 14 occasionally here and there... that could be due to the engine mildly bogging too though, I guess

What's everyone think about the CPS?

Right now it's too @(#*$(@* cold and rainy to screw around with, but I'm still trying to get ideas to think about for when I get to work on it again.
Old 02-16-2010, 08:24 PM

Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0L

has this been figured out yet? I've been having the same problems, and lately, it's been getting harder to start after it stalls. I was thinking Distributor cap and rotor, and spark plug wires.
Old 02-16-2010, 08:28 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0L 6cyl

it a jeep thing